Tall Cake Without The Servings?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 3:56am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:02am
post #1 of 4

Had a lady today who wants an amazing centerpiece for a birthday cake for next year. She needs 130 servings, square NOT round.

Found out that's pretty much a 14"/10"/6" cake. But she wants this cake TALL. Said another consult she had, the person told her she could have five tiers...?! I was like "Five tiers is alot of cake...." Unless the person's tiers are shorter...but still, that would mean she's still not getting the height. I did talk about dummy cakes but explained I charge nearly the same, I give a $1/serving discount for the dummy layers. I also suggested we could possibly slip in an extra tier if we make the measurements closer together but she didn't like that either, as she needs the ledges to put all her "bling" she wants on.

I suggested seperators but she said that's too old fashioned and she wants fancy and crazy, so I said they do have some crazy modern seperators out there, we just have to look into it and see what she likes. I didn't know much what else to tell her other than styrofoam and/or seperators for height...???? I guess I can't compete with someone who tells her you can have 5 tiers with an 130 guest cake. *Shrug*

She left fairly positive about my work and enjoyed the cake but did not want to commit, so I'm not going to count my chickens on this one... but I'm curious because I've had this mentioned before...people wanting tall cakes but not really enough guests to warrant it...???

3 replies
Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Had a lady today who wants an amazing centerpiece for a birthday cake for next year. She needs 130 servings, square NOT round.

Found out that's pretty much a 14"/10"/6" cake. But she wants this cake TALL. Said another consult she had, the person told her she could have five tiers...?! I was like "Five tiers is alot of cake...." Unless the person's tiers are shorter...but still, that would mean she's still not getting the height. I did talk about dummy cakes but explained I charge nearly the same, I give a $1/serving discount for the dummy layers. I also suggested we could possibly slip in an extra tier if we make the measurements closer together but she didn't like that either, as she needs the ledges to put all her "bling" she wants on.

I suggested seperators but she said that's too old fashioned and she wants fancy and crazy, so I said they do have some crazy modern seperators out there, we just have to look into it and see what she likes. I didn't know much what else to tell her other than styrofoam and/or seperators for height...???? I guess I can't compete with someone who tells her you can have 5 tiers with an 130 guest cake. *Shrug*

She left fairly positive about my work and enjoyed the cake but did not want to commit, so I'm not going to count my chickens on this one... but I'm curious because I've had this mentioned before...people wanting tall cakes but not really enough guests to warrant it...???

1. She wants a tall cake....you figure out how you do a tall cake...ie what tier sizes....giver her the price.

2. If she wants cheaper, it gets shorter....can't have it all!

3. She won't commit....you don't hold the date....if you get a chance, book another cake that day.

indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 4

"If you want cake for 130, you get this one. If you want 5 tiers, you pay for this many servings."

Show her a serving chart. "Suggest" she pick out the size tiers she wants. Add up the servings .... give her a bill.

6/8/10/12/14 serves 18/32/50/72/98 = 270. That's about twice what she needs. If your per serving rate is, for example, $3, tell her you can make this 5 tier cake for $6/serving! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:56am
post #4 of 4

Well we did talk about styrofoam and I pointed out how adding another styrofoam square on the bottom added it up to 200 "servings" and she did some math on that. I mentioned if she wanted some height we could switch to round instead of square, she didn't want that.

I wonder if someone really quoted her five tiers or if she was just saying that? I can't figure out...five SQUARE tiers??? That's enough to feed an army!

That's a great idea to actually hand them the chart and tell them to pick what size cake they want. I may have to start doing that.

She did sound like she was going to expect an awful lot...she was willing to pay quite a bit, but on the other hand not sure if she was willing to pay as much as she was asking for....she wants lots upon lots upon lots of design and extras.

I'm not worried about it. Its all the way next April, and that's if she calls back. I just wondered if I was missing some other way to make cakes taller. haha. I felt almost at a loss...I was wondering what information she was getting from other people if she was so sure she could get a huge cake with 130 servings. She sounded like they've done alot of tastings, said they've eaten alot of nasty cake. *shrugs* Then referred me to a website which she thought had way cool cakes I should take a look at. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%