Ugh...

Decorating By RobzC8kz Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 3:42am by Evoir

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:39pm
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_fun

For molding/sculpting I read this article in Family Fun magazine for making clay animals, but the tutorials are great and will work for any medium. I found the online link, see below:

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/buildmodel/feature/ff0306-clay-critters/ff0306-clay-critters.html

At the bottom of the page it shows all these links for other creatures, if you click on them, it gives you step by step directions and pictures of shapes and how tos.

HTH!

Thank you for this info thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
I too have a lot of Wilton stuff that I like, I always put a little oil when I melt my candy melts, and I use the Wilton Melting pot with no problems, But I know buy make and mold candy melts from my cake supply lady, because they are 1lb bags for the same price as Wilton 14oz bags.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:43pm
post #32 of 38

.........chocolate fountains for weddings, I'm melting something 5 to 10 lbs.......

Do you buy the 'special' bags of fountain choco or do you use the 'plain ol' disks?

I've wondered if the fountain choco is different, tastes better.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #33 of 38

[quote="kakeladi"].........chocolate fountains for weddings, I'm melting something 5 to 10 lbs.......

Do you buy the 'special' bags of fountain choco or do you use the 'plain ol' disks?

I've wondered if the fountain choco is different, tastes better.[/quote

I use merkens but once I was running short and grabbed some wilton disks off of my shelf as back up. Fountain chocolate is different ... it's designed for easy melting/flowing.

But when working in the ktichen and needing melted chocolate, I do it the same way (and I use the cheap wilton disks, not my expensive fountain chocolate).

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:21pm
post #34 of 38

Granted I am only a beginner, but I have used quite a bit of the wilton melts and have never had a problem with it getting hard or anything. They melt smooth in the microwave and I have not had to do a great deal of stirring. Wilton is the only thing sold in my neck of the woods and they sell for 2.99 for a 14oz. bag, granted they only sell white, light choc. and dark choc.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:20pm
post #35 of 38

actually if you read the instructions on the back you would ... melt for 1 minute on half power then stir..... return for 30 second intervals on half power until smooth.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #36 of 38

I have used the candy melts without much trouble. I also bought some merckens wafers, and I found I had real trouble keeping them smoothly melted, even though I work with my chocolate on a heating pad while I work. I have never had problems with the Wilton melts staying nice and smooth, but the merckens was very hard and not easily pourable.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:35am
post #37 of 38

...and I always melt them in the microwave on level 3 power (30%??). I did it ONCE on full power and burnt the heck out of the stuff. It seized up into a tight ball and was not usable. Now, I always do it at a lower power level. It takes longer, but it's worth it!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:42am
post #38 of 38

Bluehue - that makes sense, and I can understand now why you are willing to accommodate the client!!

In Australia we have 'cooking chocolate' too, which does not need tempering, and will not bloom if refrigerated/cooled - it stays glossy. Also for Aussies: copha is a good secret ingredient for helping keep dipping chocolate smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%