Ugh...

Decorating By RobzC8kz Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 3:42am by Evoir

RobzC8kz Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 38

Okay...two things. First, does Wilton make ANYTHING that doesn't suck?? I mean seriously!! Normally, I don't buy Wilton products unless I have no choice! Last night was one of those occasions. I had to make chocolate sea shells for a Hawaiian cake I was making, and I also needed flowers for it. So I stop by Michael's to get the flowers and since I was already there, I figured I'd get some of Wilton's Candy Melts to make the shells. No biggie, right? It's chocolate after all. Most places just repackage bulk chocolate into logo bags anyway, so I was confident that it would do just fine.

WRONG!! Instead of melting into a smooth, silky, poorable liquid, the chocolate melted into a sticky goopy mess like a cross between warm cream cheese and Elmer's glue!! It was so thick that it wouldn't even poor out of the double boiler! I had to spoon it into the squeeze bottle and it got everywhere. Then...while trying to squeeze the chocolate out of the bottle and into the molds, I was squeezing sooo hard to get it to come out that "POP!" the top of the bottle shot off and chocolate exploded all over the place! Luckily it was like drywall compound by then so it didn't go too far!! But what a mess!!!

I dug and dug and dug through my supplies until I found a teeny tiny bit of chocolate that I had left over from the last time I made shells. I cleaned everything up and started over.

The other chocolate melted just fine!! I was able to pour it into the bottle and fill the molds with no problem!

Are you kidding me?? Does Wilton test any of the junk they put out before they release it upon the unsuspecting cake decorating populace??

I'm officially a 100% Wilton free baker!!

Anyone else???

And the 2nd thing. I totally SUCK at molding people out of fondant/gumpaste!! How can an artist suck at modeling a person out of a pliable substance?? I don't know either.

Is there a better medium?? Is there a really good, step by step book or tutorial for making people and other creatures? I have ALL of Debbie Brown's books, and she makes it look so simple!

The Hawaiian cake turned out cool, except that the hula girl I tried to make looked more like the Hunchback of Notre Dame in a grass skirt and coconut bra than it did a pretty, graceful hula dancer!! LOL!! I just scrapped it and told my client that it broke and I didn't have time for another one to harden, so I bought a plastic one instead!!

Any help on this one?

Thanks!!

Rob

37 replies
flamingobaker Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 38

I have had the same problem with the wilton melting discs!

Wilton does make nice disposable icing bags!

Kandy4283 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 38

I gotta agree! Most of the stuff that I get from wilton are not the best of the best that it is made out to be!

Deb_ Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 38

I don't think those candy melts even contain chocolate icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 38

I find that all brands of candy melts--Wilton, Merckens, etc.--can vary when melting. I assume that it has to do with the freshness and moisture/oil content of the batches.

All you need to do is add some paramount crystals (if you want the end product to be hard when set) or some vegetable oil or shortening (if you want the end product to be on the softer side).

HTH
Rae

Tide89 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 38

I had the same problem last time I used the Wilton Chocolates. I just thought I had done something wrong....

indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 38

sounds like you got some old chocolate or maybe some moisture got into it. You mention using a double boiler and back in the day when I used a double boiler, it was easy for some of the steam to get into the chocolate. I microwave it all, now, and it melts great unless I have an old bag.

You can add some oil or crisco to thin it, if it melts into a thick goo. Careful and dont' overheat it, or it will thicken up and turn to goop.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 38

Marzipan is a wonderful product for modeling--and it takes color brilliantly. Eating the booboos is not a problem either. icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:38am
post #9 of 38

I agree with the paramount crystals and shortening, I always use it because I find most candy metls a little too thick.

I like a few things from Wilton--things like: tips, spatulas, small rolling pin, foams, formers, fondant (to turn into gumpaste) and a few others.

For sculpting, I suggest you check out Lorraine Mckay's tutorials. I made my first bears and I think it turned out fine.

GenGen Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:02am
post #10 of 38

they Used to have nice disposable bags.. the batches i've been getting latey just dont last long. i mean even right out of the box my students have had blow outs etc.. its terrible

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #11 of 38

Yeah. I don't associate chocolate and Wilton anything. But I love their GP and fondant for dummies only!

cookie_fun Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:24am
post #12 of 38

For molding/sculpting I read this article in Family Fun magazine for making clay animals, but the tutorials are great and will work for any medium. I found the online link, see below:

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/buildmodel/feature/ff0306-clay-critters/ff0306-clay-critters.html

At the bottom of the page it shows all these links for other creatures, if you click on them, it gives you step by step directions and pictures of shapes and how tos.

HTH!

GenGen Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:22am
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_fun

For molding/sculpting I read this article in Family Fun magazine for making clay animals, but the tutorials are great and will work for any medium. I found the online link, see below:

http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/buildmodel/feature/ff0306-clay-critters/ff0306-clay-critters.html

At the bottom of the page it shows all these links for other creatures, if you click on them, it gives you step by step directions and pictures of shapes and how tos.

HTH!

aweseome thanks! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:17am
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

they Used to have nice disposable bags.. the batches i've been getting latey just dont last long. i mean even right out of the box my students have had blow outs etc.. its terrible

Check the couplers. I have noticed more and more couplers have rough spots on them and are poking holes in the bags.

I'm not going to jump on the Wilton basing bandwagon. I use alot of their products and while some do suck (don't you find that with any product) I'm not anti Wilton, and in fact use alot of Wilton stuff.

Ruth0209 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:33am
post #15 of 38

I LOVE their fondant for covering dummy cakes. It is so easy to work with - too bad it's not edible. I like their luster dust, and I like their powdered gumpaste. I don't like the pre-mixed gumpaste so much, though.

I hate those dang candy melts. If you get anything in them (like cake ball crumbs) they seize up and turn into cement. Last time I tried them, I threw the pot in the sink in disgust, filled it with water and left it over night. The next morning it was in the same shape I'd left it. I had to melt it out with super hot water. Crazy!

GenGen Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:57am
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

Check the couplers. I have noticed more and more couplers have rough spots on them and are poking holes in the bags.

I'm not going to jump on the Wilton basing bandwagon. I use alot of their products and while some do suck (don't you find that with any product) I'm not anti Wilton, and in fact use alot of Wilton stuff.

i agree with ya. (good note on the couplers i have tons of them so it will take a while to check) i'm grateful to have the products wilton provides in an area where i'm at but would love a bit more variety lol

Bluehue Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:22am
post #17 of 38

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif Oh no, i have an order for cake balls next weekend - and the customer wants the chocolate pale blue - so i hunted high and lo over here and finally found a shop that sells the Wilton Candy Melts - so i bought two bags = $18.00 - icon_rolleyes.gif

After reading this thread i am a bit icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif about using them -
Perhaps i will add a drop of oil so as to make it more suitable for dipping.
And do what Indydeb suggested - use the microwave.

This will be the first time i make them - i was thinking make them Friday early morning - that way they should be all set for Saturday night - yes???
Any other tips i need to know please.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:05am
post #18 of 38

Blue - is there any reason you're not just colouring white chocolate?

playingwithsugar Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:47am
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif Oh no, i have an order for cake balls next weekend - and the customer wants the chocolate pale blue - so i hunted high and lo over here and finally found a shop that sells the Wilton Candy Melts - so i bought two bags = $18.00 - icon_rolleyes.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Oh, my goodness, $18 for two bags of candy melts? Honey, you have Got to learn how to color white chocolate yourself! You can buy real white chocolate for a lot less than that, even in Oz.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Mensch Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:49am
post #20 of 38

Reak chocolate needs tempering = PITA if you've never done it before.

Wilton Candy Melts are not chocolate and don't need tempering. The closest they've ever come to chocolate was perhaps being stored on the same shelf in the back room....

playingwithsugar Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:04am
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Reak chocolate needs tempering = PITA if you've never done it before.

Wilton Candy Melts are not chocolate and don't need tempering. The closest they've ever come to chocolate was perhaps being stored on the same shelf in the back room....

You make it sound like learning how to temper chocolate is a bad thing.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

grandmom Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 9:12am
post #22 of 38

Wilton's icing spatulas are the best I've found. Some other well known brands have a very slight curvature to the blade; Wilton's do not. And their meringue powder works ok.

indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:21pm
post #23 of 38

Tempering? No matter what I use ... wilton, merkens, Baker's, or chocolate bars ..... i melt it and mold it. What the heck is tempering?

-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:54pm
post #24 of 38

Tempering is where you get the chocolate all the right temperatures bladeebla--the point to tempering is to get the chocolate in the right 'mood' to perform correctly and be at it's best to make bonbons or whatever your'e doing. Depending on the degree of chocolate (white, milk, dark) you heat to a certain temperature and the molecules in there get happy and cooperative.

I've made chocolate clay out of both chocolate and candy clay and I've never had to temper it. But I usually use the cheap stuff, the non-cocoa butter stuff.

The difference between chocolate and candy melts (not Merckens) is the chocolate contains cocoa butter and the candy melts is/are made from vegetalbe oil.

Chocolate thoughts first thing in the morning! mmmm

jamiekwebb Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:11pm
post #25 of 38

The only time that I have had problems with the wilton candy melts is when I melt them on full power instead of half power.... maybe that is the problem.

Bluehue Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:16pm
post #26 of 38

Evoir - The customer saw the PALE BLUE candy melts and asked if i could pleaseeeee FIND AND BUY them - as that is the colour she is wanting.
She is a great customer - and i am happy to oblige.

Playingwithsugar - yes, this is true - but THATS the colour *she* wants - and i think she thinks they are a *special* kind of chocolate - icon_wink.gif

Mensch - Yes, i have melted chocolate before - along with colouring it - *good* chocolate - with a high cocoa content.
But this is what the customer wishes.... this will be something new for me using pre coloured chocolate.

Indydeb - lol lol

K8memphis - you heat to a certain temperature and the molecules in there get happy and cooperative.

sounds like a chocolate molecule orgy going on right in my kitchen - Think i will *look away* whilst they are *melting* in my microwave -
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Appreciate the imput...thankyou all
Bluehue.

luvmysmoother Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm
post #27 of 38

A lot of Wilton products are very good in theory but then seem to fall a bit flat in execution. They look so good in the store then when you actually use them they look NOTHING like the package design suggestions - I was so disappointed with my fondant embossing roller, fondant brushes, cake holders (I bought both the rectangular and round cake holders and NEVER use them anymore - way too bulky and not worth it - I just use cardboard boxes and lids leftover from envelope and copy paper boxes from workicon_smile.gif)...but I do still use a lot of their products and am also grateful they provide pretty much the only widely available decorating products for homebakers (I love their disposable bags, icing tips, cake pans, cutters,) I also always add shortening to my wilton candy melts or they do turn to lumpy barficon_sad.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

snip ... I'm not going to jump on the Wilton basing bandwagon. I use alot of their products and while some do suck (don't you find that with any product) I'm not anti Wilton, and in fact use alot of Wilton stuff.

I'm with you. I've had some crappy Wilton stuff, but then I've had some great Wilton stuff. It's like that old saying ... Never buy a car built on a Monday (after the weekend) or Friday (before the weekend).

Recently, I bought the 'brownie cups', the tray that looks like 1/2 an egg for each brownie (8/tray). I needed 20 for my DD's school b'day treat, so I bought 3 trays. With the brownie mix, they didn't turn out at all - wouldn't come out of the tray withou help, ande most fell apart. When I rebaked with choc cake (I didn't have anymore brownie mix) and also sprayed the pans. They came out fine - I covered them with melted choc (not Wilton's brand), rolled them in sprinkles and/or jimmies, inserted a stick, and voila! Cake pops! All the kids loved them - and a few tachers, too.

Peridot Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #29 of 38

I use a lot of Wilton stuff and am happy with it: disposable bags (have not had any problems), cell pads, cell pin, spatulas, some of their small cutters, small alphabet cutters, cake circles, turntables, to name of a few of their products that I use. I love their pre-made gum paste. I use their gum paste for everything I do and mix it 50/50 with their fondant. I buy it when I have a Michael's coupon. I only use their fondant for this purpose.

I love their bake even strips - use them all of the time with their flowers nails. I do have their cake pans and use them but would like to replace with Magic Line pans.

I HATE their cake levelers - I threw both of mine in the trash and bought and Agbay and I LOVE it!

I am a hobby baker and do about one maybe two cakes a month - maybe I would feel different if I had my own business. For most of us Wilton does have some nice products.

I have used their candy melts in the past - not for molds but for dipping chocolate covered strawberries and it worked great. And use the white for "glue" and color it to match what I am doing when placing items on a fondant cake where BC, RI, water, etc. won't hold.

indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

The only time that I have had problems with the wilton candy melts is when I melt them on full power instead of half power.... maybe that is the problem.

Put in microwave for 30 seconds ... pull out and stir the crap out of them. Most of the melting process will take place during the stirring. Back in microwave for 20 seconds .... remove and stir, stir, stir. Back in microwave ... remove and stir, stir, stir until melted.

If you're leaving it in the microwave until it's totally melted, then yeah, you're going to have a mess. That just doesn't work.

When I do chocolate fountains for weddings, I'm melting something 5 to 10 lbs of chocolate a night, so I've pretty much got this part down! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%