Gluten-Free Undecorated Cakes

Business By Steph2325 Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 3:30am by HarleyDee

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I am a specialty baker and I make only those cakes that are geared towards food allergies/intolerances. I'm the only specialty bakery in my city. This morning I had another baker leave a message asking if I'll sell her gluten-free cakes for her to decorate for her customers.

1) I've only been baking specialty cakes for 2 months now (I've done regular cakes for a few years, and I don't do those anymore) and I was planning on getting a good share of loyal customers before other bakers catch on and want in on the action. icon_smile.gif

2) If the cake decorator isn't very knowledgeable about food allergies and messes it up, I'm afraid I could be held liable even though my part was safe. I feel responsible for the end customer.

3) My husband says #2 is because I'm a Democrat. Someone please explain this logic to me. icon_confused.gif

4) How much to charge? Half of a decorated cake? DUH...Can't seem to figure this one out.

Thanks so much for your insight!
Stephanie

4 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 5

Your husband is full of it.

I wouldn't do it. If you bake with wheat flour often (which I am assuming the other baker does) it is always in the air, and that other baker can no longer guarantee a gluten-free cake.

besides, your specialty cakes won't be so special anymore if people can get them just anywhere!

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 5

I don't think I'd be doing it either. If you're trying to build up your business then you want those customers to come to you, not the other baker/decorator who wants your cakes.
As well as all the reasons (apart from perhaps #3) you said, that's the main reason I wouldn't be doing it. You don't want your potential customers to be able to get that speciality product anywhere else but you.
Just my opinion!
Emma

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 5

Italic Text

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #5 of 5

I don't think I would do it. You cannot guarantee it will be gluten free once it leaves your hands, but it will still somewhat have your name on it. Even though another baker is decorating and selling, what happens when it becomes non-gluten free, someone gets sick, and the other baker says, "Well the base cake came from Stephanie, and so she must not have made it gluten free to begin with."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%