Sugarveil Questions

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 2:24am by emilyg

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 18

Good morning all!
Yesterday I PM'd the Sugarveil rep with some questions... while I'm waiting for her to reply, I'd like to pose the same questions to you all...

I've never used Sugarveil but I bought a bag of mix to experiemnt with. I have 2 projects due this month that I think will require it.

The first is the skull with spiderweb draped cake created for Amazing Wedding Cakes. Can you give me any hints or tips before I get started making the web?

The main question I have is if you think Sugarveil can help me or is the right medium for creating my next project. I need to make a ghost ship. Tattered billowing sails and frayed netting and ropes (similar to the pic in the first link below). I've done a pirate ship but made sails from gumpaste. Now, I need them to be spooky, ripped, tattered, and worn looking and less childish...

www.flickr.com/photos/hannhell/3300191070/
http://www.thetravelalmanac.co.....d-sail.jpg
flickr.com/photos/10021142@N00/2638016754

Also, when Sugarveil is set, is it hard and rigid or more gummy-like? Will I have issues with cracking, snapping, or breaking small lines like webs and ropes during transport?

thanks so much for any help and answers you can provide...

17 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 18

The whole point of SugarVeil is that it's flexible when dry. After a couple of weeks it gets pretty crispy, but otherwise it stays flexible. I'd just advise that you practice with and follow the directions for mixing it exactly.

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 18

I'm also working on a ghost ship now too, and was thinking of the sugarveil. I think it will work good for the sails. I'm going to make the shape on a flat surface and then trim the bottom up to make it look tattered.

For the web, I would pipe out the lines with a 2 or 3 tip. You can use a clip art template under wax paper for your design, pipe, then let it dry.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 18

Hi all someone either on here or wilton had a recipe for sugar veil

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

Hi all someone either on here or wilton had a recipe for sugar veil

I remember the posting on here about having the recipe for sugar veil. I was all excited about then, but then the post for it disappeared. I'm thinking that the moderators may have possibly taken it down. No idea, just the feeling I got at the time. I'd love to have a recipe for it too.

chilz822 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 18

Here's the link for the recipe. I haven't tried it, I'm going to use the real thing for my first try so I know it's 'right', then maybe experiment later. I remember reading that it was just easier and more reliable to buy the mix than to attempt it yourself..

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7283/gummy-spider-webs-with-marshmallows

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 18

Thank you soooooooo much thumbs_up.gif

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 18

Hi Chilz - Here are some answers.

SugarVeil makes great finely-detailed spider webs and ghost sails (the Amazing Cakes web cake was done with SugarVeil, and a wonderful pirate ship cake on Ultimate Cake Off recently was created with SugarVeil sails and netting).

A few tips: When piping SugarVeil webs, here's a line design to get you started. Use 1 cup SugarVeil to 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbl. boiling water and beat on high speed for 4 minutes. Grease a sheet of parchment paper with Crisco, then place over the line design and pipe with a parchment cone, piping bag, or Icing Dispenser. The SugarVeil is properly set when it is not sticky to the touch, flexible, but does not stretch out of shape when you remove it from the parchment (you peel the parchment away from the web by pulling it over a sharp table edge).

For the netting, use the "Veil Technique" explained at http://www.sugarveil.com/confectionery_icing/comb_techniques.htm. For the sails, smooth SugarVeil out thinly by spreading onto a greased silicone mat. When set, you can cut out the sails. For a ragged edge, tear the bottom of the sail rather than cut.

Keep SugarVeil decorations out of sunlight and airtight until you are ready to decorate the cake. The consistency of SugarVeil depends upon the icing it is placed on, the thickness it is piped, and the humidity. For example, if you are in the desert, dry air, heat, and light will eventually dry SugarVeil to a very fragile dry, so you would want to carry any very fragile decorations with you to be placed on the cake when delivered. On a buttercream surface, SugarVeil will generally remain very soft, so experiment a bit beforehand to become a bit familiar. And please let me know if this answers all of your questions - Thank you, EmilyG.
LL

chilz822 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:31am
post #9 of 18

Very good to know and great tips, thank you so much! I completely forgot about the ship on the show!
very cool, thanks again!
I'm excited to try it
thumbs_up.gif

chilz822 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #10 of 18

Couple more questions:
On my ghost ship, I plan to put a dry ice element under the cakeboard for a ghostly effect, what will this do to the Sugarveil?

Can I airbrush my web to make it black-black in order to not damage consistency by having to use too much gel or powder?

If I make my large web ahead of time and store it airtight, will it damage it if it lightly folds over onto itself in storage?

Shew!
icon_smile.gif

emilyg Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:20am
post #11 of 18

Chilz,

Hmmm...dry ice. I can't imagine it would interfere, since you can freeze SugarVeil, but I think I'd do a "dry run" with the dry ice, and play with it ahead of time - there's nothing that beats actual experience, I think.

Yes to airbrushing - SugarVeil airbrushes perfectly, and I think this is a great way to create different colors "on the fly" using just white decorations.

For storing large decorations, like a large web or large sheet of "fabric", place the set SugarVeil between sheets of parchment paper and either store flat in one of those extra large ziploc bags, or roll it loosely onto a cardboard or plastic cylinder and then place it air-tight bag in the bag. Be sure to store out of sunlight, too. [Interestingly, you can also re-hydrate stored decorations to make them more flexible by placing a small open pot of SugarVeil mixture into the bag alongside (not touching) the decorations for a short period of time].

Sounds like you've some fun projects coming up! Begin working with SugarVeil right away to get the feel of it and a bit of experience - it's like learning how to use fondant after working with only buttercream. Totally different kind of stuff, but really exciting to use. Kind Regards, EmilyG

chilz822 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #12 of 18

Check.
Check.
and Check.

Thanks you so much!!!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:15am
post #13 of 18

I have always wanted to try sugarveil but have been intimidated. This thread has helped.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 18

Agreed, I just got some Sugarveil stuff and I'll definitely have a few questions in the near future! icon_biggrin.gif

emilyg Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 10:36pm
post #15 of 18

One more note to archive for this topic: Be sure and use the constantly updated resources on our Facebook page under the "Notes" section: http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=58910664892¬es_tab=app_2347471856. The most recent post contains tips for working with the Confectioners' Mats, and is especially useful when working with the most delicate lace ones. Also, http://www.youtube.com/sugarveil contains helpful videos showing the SugarVeil Icing process in action.

Thanks! - Michele at SugarVeil

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 10:42pm
post #16 of 18

I bought a package awhile back but have been intimidated to use it. I bought it due to a YouTube video I saw where they prepared spread it on sheets of something and saved it for use with the cricut. I can't remember how long you could save it... but I do remember it was a long time.

I'll have to try to find it.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:53am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyg

One more note to archive for this topic: Be sure and use the constantly updated resources on our Facebook page under the "Notes" section: http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=58910664892¬es_tab=app_2347471856. The most recent post contains tips for working with the Confectioners' Mats, and is especially useful when working with the most delicate lace ones. Also, http://www.youtube.com/sugarveil contains helpful videos showing the SugarVeil Icing process in action.

Thanks! - Michele at SugarVeil

Thanks Michele! I hope the facebook is accessible for those of us who aren't on FB. I'm looking forward to playing with my new toys -- be prepared for lots of questions! icon_lol.gif

emilyg Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:24am
post #18 of 18

Thanks, Bobwonder - here's another web address (until we can add them to our site) of 'Tips for using the Confectioners' Mats': http://ow.ly/d/a0i

And yes - please do contact us with any questions you might have; we are really happy to help you. Give us a call or email us at [email protected]

Thanks much,

Michele at SugarVeil

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%