Fondant In The Fridge?

Decorating By bostoncremeD0NUT Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm by jlynnw

bostoncremeD0NUT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostoncremeD0NUT Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 6

I have to make my first wedding cake in a few weeks and they want a mouse filling that needs to be refrigerated. I made a fondant cake a few weeks ago and stuck it in the fridge for a few hours and all of the fondant pieces got soft again. My numbers on top started to bend icon_cry.gif My guess after that was you are not supposed to put fondant in the fridge. Does this mean I have to fondant the cake the day of the wedding? How should I store it? Also I have to put a lot of fondant daisies on it. How far in advance can I start making those? Thanks so much, Stacy

5 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 6

just tell them if they want fondant, they can't have a perishable filling. I have never had luck with fondant in refrigerator either. good luck

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 6

Fondant is definatly not good in the fridge due to condenstaion. The fondant does get soft and everything will wilt. As far as the nouse filling, I would not do anything that would require refridgeration, you take the chance of someone getting sick if it sits out.
Your daisy's can be made up to 2 weeks in advance, infact I'm sure you you can even do them now. Just don't cover them once you've made them. Leave them in a dry and cool place uncovered and they'll be perfect.
Good luck!

bostoncremeD0NUT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostoncremeD0NUT Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much! I'll have to change the filling. Any good ideas?

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 6

I refrigerate all my cakes, butter cream and fondant and have never had a problem.
The cake toppers ,bows and anything else that need to remain hard I leave out and put on the cake after delivery or at pick-up.
Fondant will sweat when you take it out but the moisture will evaporate eventually and the fondant will be dry and smooth again.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

I do big batches of daisies/sunflowers to have on hand. I store them in the shoe box containers with the snap on lids. I but them on tissue paper or light foam. If I have a silca packet, I put it in as well. I save those from when I get shoes and the like. I place them in the bottom the foam/tissue, and then the flowers. They keep great. I add tylose or use gumpaste and not straight fondant. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%