Fondant In The Fridge?

Decorating By bostoncremeD0NUT Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm by jlynnw

bostoncremeD0NUT Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 6

I have to make my first wedding cake in a few weeks and they want a mouse filling that needs to be refrigerated. I made a fondant cake a few weeks ago and stuck it in the fridge for a few hours and all of the fondant pieces got soft again. My numbers on top started to bend icon_cry.gif My guess after that was you are not supposed to put fondant in the fridge. Does this mean I have to fondant the cake the day of the wedding? How should I store it? Also I have to put a lot of fondant daisies on it. How far in advance can I start making those? Thanks so much, Stacy

5 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 6

just tell them if they want fondant, they can't have a perishable filling. I have never had luck with fondant in refrigerator either. good luck

BakerzJoy Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 6

Fondant is definatly not good in the fridge due to condenstaion. The fondant does get soft and everything will wilt. As far as the nouse filling, I would not do anything that would require refridgeration, you take the chance of someone getting sick if it sits out.
Your daisy's can be made up to 2 weeks in advance, infact I'm sure you you can even do them now. Just don't cover them once you've made them. Leave them in a dry and cool place uncovered and they'll be perfect.
Good luck!

bostoncremeD0NUT Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much! I'll have to change the filling. Any good ideas?

CakeMommyTX Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 6

I refrigerate all my cakes, butter cream and fondant and have never had a problem.
The cake toppers ,bows and anything else that need to remain hard I leave out and put on the cake after delivery or at pick-up.
Fondant will sweat when you take it out but the moisture will evaporate eventually and the fondant will be dry and smooth again.

jlynnw Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

I do big batches of daisies/sunflowers to have on hand. I store them in the shoe box containers with the snap on lids. I but them on tissue paper or light foam. If I have a silca packet, I put it in as well. I save those from when I get shoes and the like. I place them in the bottom the foam/tissue, and then the flowers. They keep great. I add tylose or use gumpaste and not straight fondant. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%