The Things People Will Sue You Over!

Business By indydebi Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm by playingwithsugar

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 9

I also am on a catering forum and I just had to share this story, so show you the extremes people will go to, to try to get something for nothing!

A caterer reported that a lady saw 3 grapes on the floor and it appalled her and her guests, therefore she must have a discount. Caterer reports this one actually went to court! icon_surprised.gif She lost but he had to deal with the whole hassle.

I'm quoting Seinfeld more and more lately: People....they're the WORST!

8 replies
sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 9

That is so ridiculous, it is one reason I am scared to start my own business. Has anyone out there in "cake land" been sued for something dumb?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 9

C'mon, guys, really, two is my limit!!!
Three??? Omg the horror!!!

icon_lol.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 9

I am in the process of starting my business and I do have liability insurance. However, my point being I work for a major furniture company and have for many years and am sick of this feeling of entitlement that people think they have for everything. We have a list of people that when they purchase anything and we see their name on the delivery list we say to get the gift certificates ready because they are going to complain and they do. It is easier to stop it at a local level than to allow it to go to corporate as the complaint has now become a mountain instead of the molehill and corporate will say make them happy. When you ask them after trying to help them what will make them happy they state a gift certificate and of course when they use it the cycle starts all over again. They know how to work the system. I'm sorry but, the consumer is not "always right" and does not have the right to sue because they were offended like indydebi said. For gosh sakes, bend over and pick the grapes up, the exercise will do you some good. thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 9

I love this site:
http://notalwaysright.com/

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 9

That's one of my fave sites, Tubbs.

I hate people.

Twenty-six years of working restaurant and retail (with the last 11 of them as a small business owner) have taken a toll.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

I love this site:
http://notalwaysright.com/

Oh yeah! Love that site!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 9

I've never read that site before but that is hilarious! Some people just totally amaze me.

I spent 5 years as a waitress in high school and college and didn't think I could deal with people. Well, let me tell you, I've worked the last 9 years as a government contractor and if you think individuals make some crazy decisions, add a little politics into the mix! I've opened my shop but still part-time right now. I can't wait for it to pick up enough that I can quit the dayjob!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

I am in the process of starting my business and I do have liability insurance. However, my point being I work for a major furniture company and have for many years and am sick of this feeling of entitlement that people think they have for everything. We have a list of people that when they purchase anything and we see their name on the delivery list we say to get the gift certificates ready because they are going to complain and they do. It is easier to stop it at a local level than to allow it to go to corporate as the complaint has now become a mountain instead of the molehill and corporate will say make them happy. When you ask them after trying to help them what will make them happy they state a gift certificate and of course when they use it the cycle starts all over again. They know how to work the system. I'm sorry but, the consumer is not "always right" and does not have the right to sue because they were offended like indydebi said. For gosh sakes, bend over and pick the grapes up, the exercise will do you some good. thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

Do these people buy enough product over the course of a year for you to consider continuing to give them gift certificates? I would tell them I can no longer take their orders.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%