Buttercream Or Royal Icing??

Decorating By mina_mina Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 2:12am by mina_mina

mina_mina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mina_mina Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:39am
post #1 of 4

hi
i've got a soccer ball cake order for next week but realised the cake wont have enough serves so i decided to make a round green cake under it to make it look like its grass. then i found this picture on flickr and i wanted to do the borders like grass with some sort of icing. im not going to cover the top of the cake with grass as much as this cake, just at the bottom of the ball and the bottom of the round cake.
the ball cake and the round cake will be covered with fondant. my question is if i make the grass with buttercream i'll have to refrigerate the cake and cant do that. what will happen if i use royal icing ? will it be too hard to eat? and would the royal icing go off if i dont put it in the fridge?

i hope i made sense icon_confused.gif
LL

3 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 4

royal icing will dry hard as a rock and break teeth, i did mine in medium buttercream is it realy hot there?

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 4

Cakes iced in buttercream will be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days. If you are making the cake the day before, it should be fine unrefrigerated until the next day.

mina_mina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mina_mina Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies
Buttercream it is! The party is on sunday and the client's picking up the cake on saturday so im guessing 1 day out of the fridge should be fine.
i usually use swiss buttercream but i might just use the butter + sugar combination recipe for this one.
thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%