Where To Buy Pulled Sugar Videos Books Or Equipment

Sugar Work By froglover Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 12:39am by DecoratorJen

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:00am
post #1 of 8

So I own a cake shop with 2 partners who are hard to buy gifts for. One of them mentioned wanting to learn pulled or blown sugar so I thought I would either buy some start up equipment or how to video or books for him. The only book I found on Amazon ranges from $150-$450.Where can I find this stuff? A list of starter equipment would be nice if anyone knows what all is needed. Thanks

7 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 8

I don't do sugar work (other than in my dreams LOL), but Chef Rubber sells supplies, equipment, and Ewald Notter's DVD on sugar decorations. I'm sure there are other sources - someone will come along with info on that. There are several threads in the Candy Making/Pulled Sugar forum about basic equipment and techniques, too.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 8

I had looked into this a while back, and became discouraged from the answers and reasearch I got. when looking into all the equipment and tools needed to do this is looked like is could get pricey, also I have heard many people advise that if you arent taking a professional class on this to be very careful, it can be dangerous if you dont know exactly what you are doing, with the high temperature of the sugar/isomalt you can burn yourself very easily. I had also looked into books/dvds on this and the only ones I really found are very pricey.
Not to be a debbie downer but thats my experience with it, I wish you better luck than I had.

farmersdaughter4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmersdaughter4 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #4 of 8

I just discovered www.pastrywiz.com

They also sell supplies and for a start up kit, it's over $600.00. You can buy individual products as well. Currently they have two freebie tutorials on web: one is swan; other is rose. Both are awesome. Good luck and if you do this, be very, very careful as the sugar is EXTREMELY HOT.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 8

I started thinking about doing sugar work this summer and bought several items at the ICES convention. It does seem like it is an expensive thing to learn but that may be a good thing. It isn't something that everyone and their momma need to play around with since there are chances of very serious burns.

I know I'll leave things off the list since I've only been picking up pieces and haven't tried anything yet, but here is the list of things I know I need so far...

Warming box - There are a few different was to construct these to say on the less expensive side or you can buy already made ones.

A pump used for blown sugar - These are often like the pumps on the end of blood pressure cuffs and there are ways to make them using them or you can buy some made for sugar work.

A little alcohol lamp

Silcone mats

Cotton gloves and latex gloves

Isomalt

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 8

Since I'm bored at work I started looking up some websites...

www.pastrychef.com
www.bakingshop.com
www.chefrubber.com

GamerGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GamerGirl Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 8

I would also recommend www.jeff-the-chef.com as Jeff Kincaellan is an amazing instructor and sugar artist. I took his first course and it was well worth the time and money. He has also wrote a book (I got a copy) and it is probably the best guide for starting in this medium. The price is very resaonable. Check out his website and look into ordering a copy of his book. Good luck.

DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:39am
post #8 of 8

Join ICES and come to the Florida ICES Mini Classes in January 2010. You can take sugar classes with Keith Ryder. He uses "homemade" warming boxes and will explain everything you need to get started and begin with pulled and poured sugar and isomalt. Great hands on classes! Check out flices.org.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%