Help!!!! Can You Overmix Your Icing??? Mine Is Gritty Now!

Decorating By tonia3604 Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 12:28am by kelleym

tonia3604 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:34am
post #1 of 10

I don't know what happened!! I made my regular buttercream recipe and when I was done it seemed too thin. I started adding powdered sugar and cocoa powder since it was going to be chocolate anyway. I kept adding and mixing (in my KA). I have added nearly an extra bag of powdered sugar (was making a triple batch to begin with (6 lbs)) and some cocoa and now the texture is crumbly and gritty and still wet! The only thing I know for sure I did differently was I used real Crisco when I usually use Kroger brand shortening. This is a disaster.

9 replies
leah_s Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:47am
post #2 of 10

You're a victim of Zero transfats. (Crisco). Gotta stick with the house brand with transfats, or buy hi-ratio.

UpAt2am Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:55am
post #3 of 10

yep, crisco went healthy (haha) on us by taking out the trans fats...ugh. go back to generic brand...but for the batch you have now, you need some fat in it, so try whole milk (1 tbsp. at a time)

Lovemesomecake Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:01am
post #4 of 10

I think its the Crisco! I used to use Crisco and never could produce good icing. Then I switched to store brand and my icing has been wonderful! I ran out of shortening last night and had DH run to the store to get more...he came back w/ Crisco. I made batch of bc w/ it and OMG I HATE that stuff now!! It was sooo not the same as the store brand shortening. icon_sad.gif I'll never use Crisco again!

sewsweet2 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 10

I had a batch of icing go gritty with Crisco before the 0 transfat change. Check your sugar bag. Did you use a different brand of sugar that you usually use? Beet sugar will produce a grainy icing as compared to using sugar can sugar.

indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 10

Sifting the p.sugar and especially the cocoa will help.

Side story: when I first made hershey cocoa choc icing, I didnt' like it because I could taste the cocoa powder. Not taste "the chocolate", but I could taste the POWDER. What I was doing was NOT melting the butter, but just softening it. One day, I popped it in the microwave and forgot about it and it melted completely ..... wow, just like the directions said! The difference was amazing. The icing was smooth, creamier and it didn't hae the powder taste.

Cocoa has fat in it, so it needs to be mixed a little differently to get it to blend well (don't try to stir cocoa into milk .... it just doesn't work well! dunce.gif )

krissyh Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 10

That is great to know... I have been using only Crisco for ages... I will definitely switch to store brand (and save money too!)

indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 10

BTW, my icing recipe uses crisco and I never even noticed the change when it went to zero trans. crusts great. So part of it could be your recipe, too.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 10

I have had gritty icing before. I use Hi Ratio, so I was really baffled. For me it was the powered sugar (I bought it from Sam's Club instead of using C&H).

People thought I got a bad bath of sugar...

I never sift... but I am thinking about starting to, seeing as I sift my cake mix and it works so much better icon_smile.gif

kelleym Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:28am
post #10 of 10

The only time I ever had gritty icing it was because of using Target's "Market Pantry" brand powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%