Nfsc Question

Baking By meredith1851 Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 1:33am by pinkpopples

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 8

I really like the NFSC but don't always get a flat surface as much as I would like which is necessary to ice a pretty cookie. Should I be flipping the cookie over and using the opposite side or is there another trick to get a nice totally flat surface?

7 replies
pinkpopples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpopples Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 8:15am
post #2 of 8

I don't use this recipe but I know what you mean. As soon as your cookies come out of the oven, take your spatula/pancake turner and flatten them. You might get a line if your cookie is wider than your spatula but just kinda smooth it and it will disappear. Alternatively you could use a cookie spatula if you have one of those. Then your cookies will be nice and flat. HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 8

I ice the backside all the time. When I was a kid, the only bakery in town did their iced cookies this way so I didn't think anything of doing it this way. I've only had one person ask why I iced the back and when I said, "because it's a flat surface", she understood.

pinkpopples Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I ice the backside all the time. When I was a kid, the only bakery in town did their iced cookies this way so I didn't think anything of doing it this way. I've only had one person ask why I iced the back and when I said, "because it's a flat surface", she understood.

or you could do that, lol.

The reason I flatten the top tho is because I'm weird about some things like that. I want the top of the cookie to stay the top of the cookie. Being me, it would drive me nuts to see the top of the cookie on the back.

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:19am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for replying. I will try both ways and see what works icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:28am
post #6 of 8

If you freeze the cookie dough before baking - after rolling and cutting - they don't rise as much. It won't give you a perfectly flat surface, but still better.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:40am
post #7 of 8

I read on another thread a while back someone sais she rolls over them with her rolling pin right after coming out of the oven. I use NFSC and freeze mine after cutting out, as I dont chill the dough first, they bake nicely. Every once in a while one gets a bump but never enough that I thought I'd need to flatten it out.

pinkpopples Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:33am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

I read on another thread a while back someone sais she rolls over them with her rolling pin right after coming out of the oven. I use NFSC and freeze mine after cutting out, as I dont chill the dough first, they bake nicely. Every once in a while one gets a bump but never enough that I thought I'd need to flatten it out.

Doh! *slaps forehead* I never thought of doing that. Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%