Airbrush???

Business By TheBaketress Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 6:32am by miny

TheBaketress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBaketress Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #1 of 9

ok so my hubbi wants me to FINALLY get an airbrush and compressor!!!! YAY!!! now... can i use any compressor and airbrush or does it have to be specific to food decorating? and does anyone have any grea sites to look? Also... where can i get the colors?

on a side note... in my previous life (before hubbi and kid) I was a big time makeup artist and used to airbrush makeup. if anyone has done that r there any similarities with technique and such???

TIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 9

I can only say that I have a double action Paasche airbrush and an Iwata compressor and I like both.

kramzc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramzc Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #3 of 9

What about the kopykat airbrush alot of chefs in my area have recommended it?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:19am
post #4 of 9

i love the paache too

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:43am
post #5 of 9

I have a kopykake and it's really good, I got the colors there too. Now about the technique I'm pretty sure it's the same as with make up ; )

cakesbyk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyk2 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:44am
post #6 of 9

I am a newbie and I bought the kopykake and have really enjoyed it.

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 9

Not sure if you're looking to buy an expensive, highly used airbrush, or just a smaller, cheaper one for occasional use. But someone else just posted about a $50 airbrush on ebay. Here's the forum discussion:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654481-airbrush.html

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I can only say that I have a double action Paasche airbrush and an Iwata compressor and I like both.

I just got exactly this configuration: VL Paasche airbrush set and Iwata Silver Jet compressor. I didn't shop around much to figure out what I wanted, so thought I should do some research before opening everything up.. icon_lol.gif

I googled "Paasche" and found some reviews which suggested this model didn't do so great at low pressure (less than 20psi). Have you found this? Also, I bought every colour of Kopykake airbrush colour the store had. Does this brand do ok? I thought I'd get Amerimist colours when I need something specific. Also, does it work well to mix the colours in the little jars, or is it best to just do light layers of basic colours to get the right mix.

Thanks for any input.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:32am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Does this brand do ok? I thought I'd get Amerimist colours when I need something specific. Also, does it work well to mix the colours in the little jars, or is it best to just do light layers of basic colours to get the right mix.

Thanks for any input.

Yes, they are very good and it depends on the effect you need on your cake, sometimes is better to do layers of colors to blend a specific shade, sometimes it's better to mix it before using it, the only thing you need to keep in mind is, if you are mixing it in jars make sure you have enough color to finish your cake because it is very dificult to get the same shade twice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%