Help With Cream Cheese Icing

Baking By Roxybc Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 2:33am by msulli10

Roxybc Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #1 of 5

I'd like to pipe some cream cheese icing in big swirls onto my cupcakes, but I'm looking for a good tried and tested recipe. Last time I made cream cheese icing it turned out runny and I couldn't get it to set for the life of me. I think I used light cream cheese, so this time I've bought full fat. Anyone have a good recipe and/or tips?? Also, how long can cream cheese icing be out of the fridge? Is a few hours ok, or will it start to melt?

4 replies
Loucinda Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 5

I use Earlene Moore's recipe - it is on her site. (www.earlenescakes.com) it is tried and true!

Roxybc Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for that link! I've had a look at the recipe and have a quick question - I like in the UK and we don't have crisco here. Someone on this site suggested I use something called Trex so I bought it, but have never used it. It's kept in the fridge section.

The packaging says: Trex vegetable fat is free from E numbers, colors, preservatives and hydrogenated vegetable oil.

The only ingreedient is vegetable oils.

There is also a note on it with regards to pastries that reads: The secret to successful pastry depends on two essentials: the minimum of handling and keeping everything as cool as possible at all stages.

Does this mean that I'll have to keep the cream cheese icing in the fridge or it will melt? The recipe on the link you gave me says theirs doesn't need to be refridgerated.

Loucinda Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:13am
post #4 of 5

No, I believe your TREX is like our "crsico" (vegetable shortning) it will be fine - shelf stable. You don't have to refrigerate it.

msulli10 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:33am
post #5 of 5

I use Sugarshack's buttercream icing. Then I take some of it and mix it with creamcheese. The consistency is pretty firm. If necessary I just pop it in the fridge. It's very easy to pipe with. I used this for my flower cupcakes that I have posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%