I Am So Frustrated, What Would You Do?

Decorating By Country_girrl Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm by Country_girrl

Country_girrl Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:47am
post #1 of 11

O.k. to give a little background..
I was asked to do a wedding shower cake, and I did. They absolutely loved it! Raved on and on about it. So then, I am asked to do the wedding cake. So, the shower was in August, and the wedding is October 17th. yes, next Saturday. So... anyways, the beginning of September, I call the aunt, who called me for the wedding cake, and shower cake. I say to her, we need to get together with the bride and get something firm going about this cake. She tells me theyw ill get together and call me back. A week goes by and I get a friend request on facebook from the bride. From there she messages me and says how she loved the shower cake, and is looking forward to me doing her wedding cake. Great, I again reiterate we need to get together and make the final decisions about her cake. She agrees and says she will call me the following Monday. So, we go over the details of what she wants, on Tuesday(cause she didnt call on Monday) I quote $300 for a cake that will feed 125. Keep in mind she picks a cake and sends me pics that will feed 400. On the Friday prior to the Monday, a friend of mine (who also does cakes) and I were talking and she says, "I got a message from someone close to you and I was wondering if you wanted to call her back, it's about doing a wedding cake." I asked who it was and BAM.. it was the aunt.. so we discuss the deal up to this point...I decide o.k. forget it. Sunday I am on facebook, and she IM's me, we need to get together and go over my cake...So I tell her if she is hesitant about me doing her cake, she needs to find someone else. NO, she wants me to do it. Then says I have unexpected expenses to come up (house insurance, land taxes) ?? Anyways, She needs to cut that dolar amount to $75 to $80. WTheck?? Oh, and that includes the grooms cake. So I tell her I can do a 9 X 13 single layer for $25 for the groom for $25 that leaves $55 at most, she is wanting something that I cannot give her, a grand cake for little money. So she goes to $75 for wedding cake, at this point I say to her I can do a 7 in and a 4 inch top but for that amount, it's going to be hard for me to do much for her. I say I ned payment in full on Friday (today) she emials me first thing this morning about the payment and I tell her cash only and where to find me. NO SHOW! Tonight she texts me, I forgot about it totally today, where can you meet me? If it was that important she wouldn't have forgotten. Would you? I didn't respond, next message comes in and it says, I will do whatever, you want me to do... sorry about the confusion. Confusion? No confusion, she wants something for nothing, and then me to run all around to pick up $100? Seriously? I have a feeling no mater what I do at this point, I am screwed. Word of mouth, will be.. I left her hanging the week of her wedding and if I do, the cake will not be what she is expecting and she will complain about that too. I so bad want to tell her to go to her local grocery store and pick up a sheet cake. What would you do?

10 replies
ddaigle Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 11

Run, Forrest, Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deb_ Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:57am
post #3 of 11

What would I do?

Without a contract.....absolutely nothing. You didn't mention that you have a signed contract so I'm assuming you don't.

You should have a contract or at the very least a written out description of every cake on an invoice that has been signed by both parties.

LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 11

I'm with Dkelly. Not only would I not do anything without a contract. I wouldn't do all that work for such little money. As far as the aunt and her bills, you got bills too.

Country_girrl Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:05am
post #5 of 11

LOL @ Run, Forest run!!

No signed contract. I have been trusting up to this point, have not asked for anything down in the way of a deposit. I guess, this is the reason why they are so important. Why can't people just be taken at their word? If I tell you I am going to do something, that is what I do. If I promise you something, that is what I do, If I commit verbally to you, my word is my bond. Ugh.....so are you saying, if you were in my position, with no contract in hand, you would let this one go, and do nothing about making the cake, or calling her back?

LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 11

Your truly a sweet, traditional Southern Gal...not everyone else is though. Yes, let it go. Don't worry about being bad mouthed. You will still get business. No wedding cake is her concern and for what she wants to pay, she can get one at Wally World.

Country_girrl Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #7 of 11
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I'm with Dkelly. Not only would I not do anything without a contract. I wouldn't do all that work for such little money. As far as the aunt and her bills, you got bills too.

You are absolutely right, I have bills too, and working for nothing is not that enticing for me. Lesson learned, signed contract it is. All this drama, and btw, whatever happened to the use of the telephone? why am I communicating with her through text, emails and instant messaging? I have told her on more than one instance, just give me a call, and she always says she will, but never does.

I am too easy, and afraid to just say what my terms are. I fear this is a mistake that will be ongoing if I don't get some backbone. Why am I doing this again? Oh yeah to make extra money and enjoy it, ummmm not so much of either one right now.

Thanks ya'll, I appreciate and value your experience and opinions.

Joanne0710 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #8 of 11

When I take a cake order, I meet with the bride WELL before the wedding day, at least weeks, sometimes months. The bride is also WELL aware that I will go above and beyond because I believe Weddings are very special. I also expect Full payment one week before the wedding. OK, now to my point. No matter what, If I do not have full payment 1 week before the wedding, There is no cake. If this bride "bad talks" you to others and they believe her, you don't need their business either. There are good customers out there, you don't need the bad ones. Forget all the back and forth and cut your losses.

Deb_ Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:19am
post #9 of 11

I agree with LaBellaflor, you seem like a very sweet person.....please don't let people take advantage of you.

What you described is a lot of work for the price they are "telling you" that they'll pay you.

An important thing to remember is that not everyone will be able to afford the cake they request. You have been more then helpful with this girl, offering to make smaller cakes to fit her budget and she's still giving you the run around.

I realize that it's a busy stressful time for the bride, but if she really wanted this cake and it was a priority to her then she'd have paid you by now.

If she contacts you again in a day or two, my response would be "sorry, since I didn't receive payment on the agreed upon day, I assumed you had gone elsewhere." I mean it's 8 days til the wedding.

Country_girrl Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #10 of 11

Thanks Deb!

I am exhausted from dealing her everyday it's like an on again off again thing. I told my husband this morning that I really hoped she wouldn't come through with her deposit today because, I just feel like either way is a no win situation.

I try to do 3 cakes a week, and that is perfectly good for me. It gives me the extra money to help my daughter going to college, and pays for a few extra "cake decorating" tools that I would normally take from my household budget. Even though the mortgage isn't riding on it, I do count on the income it generates. I also turned down 2 other cakes for next week, from "regular" customers because I knew I wanted to give her cake my undivided attention. Look where that got me.

I appreciate your insight, and advice. I read a lot in the forums that you "regulars" have to say and it truly helps me as a noob!!! Thanks so much!! You all are truly inspirational to someone starting out and wondering where this journey could go.

Country_girrl Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 11

Drama update:
This morning I get a text from Bridezilla. It says, I never heard from you, call me when you get a sec. So, I wait 30 mintues, talking to myself about what I am going to say to her. I call her, she doesn't answer, what a surprise, huh? So I text her, this is her preferred method of communication, and say: You didn't hear from me because, I have lots of obligations and I do not have time to chase someone down for a down payment, nor am I going to. I made terms perfectly clear in my last email to you. You did not fulfill your obligation at the stated time, nor did you say there was a problem with that time. I assumed you would uphold your end of the deal. I book a certain amount of cakes each week, because I like you, have bills as well. There has been a lot of back and forth and I am too busy to be waiting around for someone who has disrespected my time, as well as the quality of the work that I provide. At this point, I think it would be in your interest to find someone else to make your cake.

Her response an hour and a half later was: "fine with me"

Thank goodness this over, and thank you all for listening to me vent, and giving me the courage to stand up for what I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%