swapnilgupta Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:45am
post #1 of

Hi,

Are egg white powder and meringue powder the same thing.?CAn we use them interchangeably....for frostings/icings....
Can we make meringue powder from egg white powder....
ANly help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Swapnil

5 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of

They are interchangable. To me powdered egg whites taste better. It also isn't grainy like meringue powder.

HTH

Michele

madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #3 of

merinque and egg whites is the same thing....how is it anything else?

Sugarflowers Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

merinque and egg whites is the same thing....how is it anything else?

Well... meringue powder has corn starch, egg whites, sugar, gum arabic, calcium sulfate, citric acid, cream of tartar, silicon dioxide, and artificial flavor. Powdered egg whites don't have these ingredients.

This does mean that they are not interchangable. However, the flavors are different and the use of either is a matter of preference.

Michele

madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of

Now I am curious, I will have to check my container and see whats in there..icon_smile.gif

khoudek Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:45pm
post #6 of

I just finished a course in Lambeth and Australian methods with Mark Seaman in Chicago. He uses and recommends the egg white powder when doing very fine piping as it doesn't plug the tips with the tiniest openings as much. He explained the cornstarch in the meringue can cause this problem when using 0 and 00 tips. Plus he says it doesn't yellow with age like fresh egg whites can do once it's hardened.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%