Help My Facemask Keeps Breaking And I Need It For Sunday.

Decorating By kakbiz Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 12:38am by Loucinda

kakbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakbiz Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 6

I used KittisKakes directions to make the facemask, but my face mask keeps breaking while its drying. I used the powdered gumpaste by wilton not sure if that makes a difference. I followed kittiskakes to the letter but the side of the face mask keep breaking off almost like they are to heavy( they aren't that thick either) and now the middle of the mask is cracking and I just made it this morning for the 3RD TIME!! PLEASE HELP ME figure this out I need the cake for my son's birthday party on Sunday!!!

5 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 6

Can you post a photo so we can see exactly how you've done it and where it's breaking?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:28am
post #3 of 6

Are you kneading some shortning into the gumpaste and getting it really smooth before making the mask? Sometimes, if you don't "activate" the gumpaste by doing this it dries and cracks. You want it to be really smooth and pliable before making anything with it.

kakbiz Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #4 of 6

no I didn't kneed any crisco into it I didn't know I needed to. How much do I need?The gumpasre is very pliable and not sticky at all.I followed the directions for mixing the gumpaste that were on the can. From what I remember all iwas supposed to add was water and powered sugar. i threw the empty can away yesterday.
i will try to add a picture not sure I know where my daughter put the cord for the camera.

kakbiz Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:38am
post #5 of 6

If I go by the ready made stuff will it work different than the powdered gum paste mix? And do you think it will dry by 4:30 sunday?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:38am
post #6 of 6

You don't need a lot, just a small amount (like grease your hands and then knead it) There is something about using that little bit of shortning that makes it work much easier/better IMO. In the Nic Lodge classes I have taken, he has said you need to use that shortning to "activate" the gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%