Freezing This Cake?? Little Girls Party Canceled Due To H1N1

Decorating By luvscakes Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 3:50am by luvscakes

luvscakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 10

I had a client today pick up the minnie mouse cake. Her daughter was hospitalized with what they suspect to be swine. They had to call off her party for tomorrow but obviously her cake was already made, and she already spent the money.

My question- what do you think will happen if she freezes it for a later date?
I told her I didn't think it would make it a disaster but that it wouldn't look puuuurfect like it does today.

Has anyone tried this?
Any opinions? I just hate to see all my hard work not be enjoyed and her cash go down the drain!

Thank you!

9 replies
cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 10

I am not sure and I wish that I could be of help. I have heard people wrapping it in the box and freezing it and thaw it in the wrapping completely before taking the wrapping off. I am not sure if it would work but your cake is really nice icon_smile.gif

SJ169 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 10

I have never frozen a fully decorated cake but I would be concerned with the black running into the white and pink

cownsj Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 10

I'd be afraid of the black running as well, but it might be able to be cleaned up later using some vanilla. I had a wedding cake I did for a local wedding venue a few months back. they have senior citizen events from time to time with different themes. That particular one had a wedding theme. I did the cake for them, covered in fondant with fondant roses. I was just told by them a couple days ago that the event had never happened so they froze the cake and it was later used for an actual wedding. They said it was perfect.

I've never tried it, but that was what they told my wife.

sadsmile Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 10

Yeah that's not going to be good. If she does try to freeze it then tell her when she takes it out to put it on the counter with a small fan blowing on low towards it(but not to close) and don't touch it till it looks as dry as it looks today. Maybe leave it out over night and don't touch it.

Melchas Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 10

I have frozen several cakes both with MMF and with bc and MMF. the one totally covered in MMF did fine, no colors ran and it looked and tasted great. The one with bc and MMF accents didn't fair as well...the colors didn't run, but the bc started to melt. I let it warm up at thaw at room tmp, but I think it was too warm in my house.

Next time I freeze one I think I will sasdsmile's advice and put a small fan near it as it thaws.

KitchenKat Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 10

I've frozen fondant covered cakes before and have never had any problem with thawing or condensation.I'd take out the topper before freezing and replace it after thawing. SEveral tips:

1. Wrap cake really well. I've frozen cakes wrapped in foil, in tupperware container, in the box with all the box openings taped shut.
2. make sure your freezer has no off odors
3. When thawing, take cake out of the freezer, remove wrappings, leave in a cool place
4. Condensation will form but just DO NOT TOUCH THE CAKE and it will simply evaporate. Scary looking, yes, but it will never get so wet as to run down the sides of the cake as long as you keep it in a cool room. To speed the process you can direct a fan towards the cake .

Frozen and thawed (fully decorated) cake doesn't taste any different from a non-frozen and thawed one.

ibmoser Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:19am
post #8 of 10

I, too, have frozen a well-wrapped fondant-decorated cake, or most of one LOL. It was covered in white with red and bright royal blue accents (4th of July leftover). I kept it frozen for a looooong time. I allowed it to thaw gradually and did not touch it. No bleeding, no dripping, no problems. My decorations were mostly flat cutouts on the cake - no bows or 3-D items, but ..... it tasted like fresh.

babykonst Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #9 of 10

agree with above posters, stunning cake by the way!!

luvscakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #10 of 10

Thanks guys!

I just felt awful for this little tyke and her mom who had the dilemma of just eating this huge cake themselves tonight and tossing the rest, or attempt to freeze it for when they could do the party.

I emailed her with the advice and tips I hope she does freeze it instead of chucking the whole thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%