Writing On Cakes

Decorating By blondie Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 11:38pm by poohsmomma

blondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondie Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 15

How do I get the writing on cakes pretty and even. I have arthritis in my hands and it is progressively gettin worse, so my writing is worse and uneven now. The largest stencil I found was 3/4" and I sometimes need larger?

14 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie

How do I get the writing on cakes pretty and even. I have arthritis in my hands and it is progressively gettin worse, so my writing is worse and uneven now. The largest stencil I found was 3/4" and I sometimes need larger?

A lot of CCer's do a font on the computer , Can you use fondant?? sometimes i do that one cause i hate my writing .

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 15

Get a couple of sets of tappits - and cut what you need to write out of gumpaste. It looks very nice and clean.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 15

I do something different sometimes. Go look at the black and white monogram and it explains it all at different points in the comment section. That's how I did the Coach logo as well.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 15

I use a cricut to cut out special lettering from icing sheets or gumpaste.
But if I do it freehand I use a laser level. it will put a straight line and not even touch the cake and it works great.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 15

if you thin the icing out....some people use gel, i just use water, you won't have to squeeze so hard...i like using a 3 tip, i think thats bigger than a lot of people use.

practice making just some cool letters you like on paper with a pencil...i kinda stole my daughter in law's writing style, and started using it on cakes...you can come up with some cool simple letters.

she told me "you totally STOLE my writing!"...i said *snicker*...i know.

i love writing on cakes now.

blondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondie Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks everyone. I will have to try those.

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 15

I am just learning but I have found that if I use transparency sheets and print from the PC, I can use as a template. It works pretty good for me.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 15

LURVELY, I looked at your b/w monogram but there are no comments to be seen. Beauitful work!

TripleD tell me about your lazer leveler. Writing up/downhill is my biggest problem.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 15

I'll pm ya

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 15

Lurvely - Can you PM me those instructions too? I can't see comments either!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 15

Did you somehow disable your comments when you changed your name?

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 15

They're back.

Chatawa67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chatawa67 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:49pm
post #14 of 15

I have had difficutly in writing also. I have cheated and printed the lettering on rice paper and laid on the cake. Have you ever tried the stencil sets you can buy for lettering?

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:38pm
post #15 of 15

I found a great idea in the book Two Hour Party Cakes by Carol Deacon. I use my computer to compose my message, arrange the style and fonts, and then print it in reverse. I tape that printed sheet to a clear plastic and pipe the message in royal icing. (Remember, it's backwards at this point.) When the royal icing gets hard, I use the plastic like an impression sheet to press the message into my cake. Then I have a guide for piping in BC.
I work mainly in BC but I have done it on fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%