Boo Humidity (You're Invited To My Pity Party)!!!

Decorating By tx_cupcake Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 5:49pm by nonnyscakes

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 14

Dude! I am so bummed! I live in an area that is hardly ever humid (north Texas), but yesterday it was 90 degrees and 100% humidity so I was forced to make my first ever cake in those conditions. Can I just say, UGH!!!!! thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

This cake is being picked up today, and it is NOT up my standards at all! The fondant looks... sad. I've never had this problem before, and am throwing a huge pity party for myself.

I'm not going to say anything unless the customer says something first...

Man, this is totally crappy. icon_cry.gif

13 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 14

It is totally humid where I live.... felt like I had to swim through soup to get to work today. I am so glad I don't have a cake to do this weekend. I am sure your's isn't as bad as you think. We are our own toughest critics. Did you post a picture?

tx_cupcake Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 14

No. I'm too ashamed of it. I don't want there to be any evidence of its existence.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 14

i work in the humidity all the time! it's fine! icon_lol.gif

i have kinda gotten use to things going wrong icon_sad.gif but I feel ya on this one

tx_cupcake Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 14

The customer just picked it up and LOVES it!!! YAY for cake civilians!!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 14

Yeah, it was like 90 degrees and 100% humidity in San Antonio yesterday, too - UGH!! I wanted to play with my cake stuff in the worst way but knew the humidity would just kill any fun I would be having.

Glad the customer liked your cake - that's what matters most!

nonnyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 14

We all knew it couldn't have been as bad as you thought!!! Glad your customer liked it.

tx_cupcake Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

i work in the humidity all the time! it's fine! icon_lol.gif

i have kinda gotten use to things going wrong icon_sad.gif but I feel ya on this one

How in the world do you keep fondant from getting so friggin' soft? It was a real beating just to roll it out! It was sticking to everything, and then when I finally got it on the cake it plastered itself to every bump and bauble like a wet shirt! Please share your high humidity secrets!!! icon_biggrin.gif

nonnyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 14

txcupcake - I was just looking at the pictures in your gallery. Your Sesame Street cake http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1300427 looks like mine http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1299408

You did a great job!!

tx_cupcake Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 14

Haha! Don't you love that? The person I made it for printed out a pic on the web and gave it to me. I like yours better though. The Big Bird really makes it. Wish I would have thought of that! thumbs_up.gif

nonnyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Haha! Don't you love that? The person I made it for printed out a pic on the web and gave it to me. I like yours better though. The Big Bird really makes it. Wish I would have thought of that! thumbs_up.gif

Where did she find her picture? Who made the one that she found? There are a lot of them on CC.

tx_cupcake Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 14

This was the inspiration pic:
http://cakesbymari.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Sesame_Street.32150816_std.jpg.

Back when I had my blog, I did a post about making the Sesame Street cake, and had a link to the inspiration cake. Luckily, I didn't erase the link!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:35pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Yeah, it was like 90 degrees and 100% humidity in San Antonio yesterday, too - UGH!! I wanted to play with my cake stuff in the worst way but knew the humidity would just kill any fun I would be having.

I have a dehumidifier and now the humidity is always at 40% in my house...I can play with fondant any day now, regardless of the weather outside. Of course on a day like ths I have to empty the bucket on the dehumidifier a couple times but that's not a big deal. It saves on the electric bill too...the AC doesn't have to work as hard.

nonnyscakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:49pm
post #14 of 14

Cool... That's the one that my friend brought to me. She asked me to duplicate the cake for her triplets but to add Big Bird so that all three would have a character on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%