Filling For Root Beer Cake

Baking By ljdills Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm by cownsj

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:19am
post #1 of 23

Any ideas for tasty filling for root beer cake? Also ideas for flavoring buttercream for same cake?

22 replies
SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:38am
post #2 of 23

Vanilla? I think I'd probably go with root beer and vanilla to imitate a root beer float. My limited brain can't think of much that would go well with root beer. I'm sure someone else can come up with something WAY more creative!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:40am
post #3 of 23

I agree with vanilla..

-K8memphis Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 23

Whipped cream?

Whipped cream with rum?

mmmm

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 23

If the cake is root beer flavor, I'd definitely stick with vanilla buttercream, both for the filling and outside. If the cake is vanilla, I'd use root beer buttercream. In fact, I just made vanilla cupcakes with root beer buttercream filling and topping last week. It was outrageously good.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 23

I think cream cheese filling would be good too.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 23

<Holding up hand> Vanilla!!

cownsj Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdills

Any ideas for tasty filling for root beer cake? Also ideas for flavoring buttercream for same cake?

Can I ask you about your recipe for the root beer cake????????

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 23

Root beer buttercream. It tastes different than the cake, so it's not too much root beer........chocolate cake gets chocolate frosting, and it's not too much of a good thing.

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:19am
post #10 of 23

I would also do the Rootbeer cake with the Vanilla Buttercreme. Reminds me of Rootbeer Float. Sounds so yummy I think I'll take a trip to Wally World for Ice Cream and some rootbeer.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:41am
post #11 of 23

ROOT BEER CAKE! icon_surprised.gif I must have this recipe! Please share! *praying*

I would go with the vanilla buttercream or even a little bit of rum in it. I know that my grandma likes to put rum in her RB icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #12 of 23

yep vanilla butter cream is a winner with rootbeer

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:01am
post #13 of 23

I would also vote vanilla and am hoping you share your secret for the root beer cake. I think I would have a new favorite!!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:16am
post #14 of 23

Recipe please!!!! Sounds delish!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:19am
post #15 of 23

btw - vanilla filling

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:33pm
post #16 of 23

Here is where I got my Rootbeer Recipe. It's awesome. So are many of the other recipes on this thread.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

cownsj Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #17 of 23

You are a doll, thank you so much. I can't wait to make the root beer cake. Then, onwards and upwards, ok and some below it on the list too. icon_biggrin.gif So many just look so good. I see another cupcake tasting party in my near future.

ljdills Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 7:47am
post #18 of 23

Thanks pinkflower1212 for posting that link. That is the recipe I used for my root beer cake. I also brushed root beer over the warm layers. How did you guys make root beer buttercream and filling? (cownsj - those cupcakes sound delicious !)

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:13pm
post #19 of 23

Thank you for the recipe(s)!! That link was delish! icon_lol.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:36pm
post #20 of 23

The receipes sound yummy! I can't wait to try the rootbeer cake. Thank-you for posting.

cownsj Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:

Thanks pinkflower1212 for posting that link. That is the recipe I used for my root beer cake. I also brushed root beer over the warm layers. How did you guys make root beer buttercream and filling? (cownsj - those cupcakes sound delicious !)

I used the root beer buttercream for the filling. The basic recipe I have (the Wilton one), calls for one teaspoon vanilla extract. To make the root beer, I used a 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp. root beer extract. I remember watching an episode of "unwrapped" at an ice cream plant, and they were developing new flavors. They commented that ALL flavors begin as vanilla. So, that's what I did here, began it as vanilla, and finished it off with root beer. BTW, it also works exceptionally perfect with orange extract. It gives the exact flavor of an orange creamsicle. So that on vanilla cake, with a large popsicle stick in the end, shaped at the corners and you have a very easy to carve and exact tasting orange creamsicle.
I bought some root beer yestereday, can't wait to make the cake now.

ljdills Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #22 of 23

cownsju Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you ! I am going to try it out right now !

cownsj Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:

cownsju Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you ! I am going to try it out right now !

I'll be curious about what you think of the recipe after you try it, if you don't mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%