Does It Cost To Advertise On Facebook?

Decorating By debster Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm by debster

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 20

I was reading a thread on here the other day where someone said they get business from being on Facebook , you know cake orders. How do you advertise on there and do you have to pay? If so how much? Thanks for any information.

Gotta try to drum some up. Husband is still outa work it's been a year!!!!

19 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 20

i havn't done it myself but i think you could create a 'page' for your business and yeh it would be free. That's what i have seen some people do

debster Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:12am
post #3 of 20

Do you know how to do the group thingy? Or how do you find out about it? Thanks for the reply.

Elise87 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #4 of 20

Go to the main facebook page and click on create a page (outlined in the pic below)

www.facebook.com

From there you can create it and you don't even need to be signed up to facebook

Sorry i said group before...i meant page lol just chaged it icon_smile.gif
LL

debster Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:30am
post #5 of 20

I don't mean to be computer dumb (which I am) hehehehehehe, but once you do the page how do people know you do cakes? I mean how are they drawn to know what I do? Thanks

Elise87 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:05am
post #6 of 20

do you mean how are you suppose to show what you do on the page?

Or do you mean how are people meant to know about your page?

Because i havn't done one, all i know is that people can become 'fans' of your page and they can recieve updates if you have new products or specials etc and then they can maybe spread the word about your business to other people on facebook to have a look at your page and maybe join etc.

Also i found a facebook business page will show up in google etc if you type in your business pages name and the word facebook so that shows that even people who are not logged in or joined to facebook are able to see your page but not able to comment or recieve updates etc but can view all the info and pics on your page. If you don't want it to show on up google etc and be more private there may be a privacy thing you can change to stop that or something.

So that is all i know but hopefully you will get a proper answer from someone who has actually done a page telling you how to 'use' the page for business from their experience

Does that help a bit?

icon_smile.gif

debster Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:39am
post #7 of 20

I meant how are people supposed to know about the page? I'll check it out and see what's up, thanks.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 20

Well - on your page you can put your link on your wall. Then people will go to it. It will show up on that person's interests page. More people will be drawn to it. You'll start telling people about it and more people will become fans.

cylstrial Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 20

You could stick the web address under your name on every email as well.

debster Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 20

Thanks all for the information, I know there has to be a way around the high cost.

cylstrial Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 20

Do you mean the high costs of running a website? Or advertising?

I'm pretty sure that facebook is completely free. And there are lots of ways to advertise for free as well. You just have to figure them out.

Have you created a blog? They are free and easy to run. That's a web address you could include at the bottom of your email as well.

And don't forget - word of mouth.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:10pm
post #12 of 20

I have a FB page for myself and I just set one up for my business. Both are free.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 20

I have had afew customer call for orders and asked for a web site. I don't hav one can't afford one. I ue my facebook page to show my cakes. just tell whoever that the ned to request you as a friend and they can view your cakes. Works well for me

debster Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:13pm
post #14 of 20

tripleD........................go to www.freewebs.com and make a website for free.

cylstrial Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #15 of 20

And Microsoft also has free websites too.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:34am
post #16 of 20

You can actually purchase an ad on facebook. If you already have a facebook page, you'll notice there are ads in the right sidebar. Those ads are on everyone's page. I looked into it for my home stationery business, but I didn't really get to far into how much it costs. To have a page is free and you can set up a group and a fan page. It easiest to start with your friends and then it just kind of spreads. Also if you keep your pages public, people can find you via search.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #17 of 20

here is the link for info on advertising on facebook. You have to set up a daily spending budget, meaning how much do you want to pay per day to advertise. http://www.facebook.com/editaccount.php?notifications#/advertising/?src=advf2

hopefully the link will work.

jnikki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnikki Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 6:20am
post #18 of 20

@I have had afew customer call for orders and asked for a web site. I don't hav one can't afford one. I ue my facebook page to show my cakes. just tell whoever that the ned to request you as a friend and they can view your cakes. Works well for me

I just signed up my website through wahmhosting.com I only pay 3.00 per month. Can't beat it at all.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:52pm
post #19 of 20

Hey debster, the easiest way is to make a group for your cakes. You can then invite people to join and they can check out your cakes.
Right at the bottom of FB there is a picture of 2 heads (that's to go to "groups").
Click on that and at the top of the page there is a "create a new group" button. Click on that and your on your way. Add all your photos of cakes to your group and invite your friends. Then your friends will invite their friends and so on!

Here is my group:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=85301691117

debster Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks kerry-kakes I'll give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%