I Think You'll Be Proud Of Me.....

Business By jonahsmom Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm by jonahsmom

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #1 of 10

Okay - so I do not have a spine. I'll do just about anything for anybody - BUT.....

I have decided that it's time to enforce my "minimum" and enforce my "late order" policy because I'm actually getting pretty busy! For working a real job 8:30-5:00 every day and caking in the evenings and on weekends I think only a couple of cakes a week is PLENTY!

So, the gal I did the red and white wedding cake for asked me for a cake for her husband's birthday. She said she didn't want to spend too much because it's not a milestone birthday....$15 bucks or so. I said the cheapest one I do is a 6" and it's $25. I know - still too cheap by all your standards, but in my town you just can't charge more than that for a 6" because people have the big grocery store mentality. Anyhoo...she opted for the 8" for $36 instead. Go figure!

Hubby's proud of me - said I need to weed out the people that really want my cake as opposed to the people who think they can just get a awesome (but cheap!) cake. Apparently she likes my cake...

9 replies
countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #2 of 10

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif ATTa girl! My new minimum is going to be $50....I just won't go less any more....

PS: I live in the 'grocery store mentality 90 days frozen sheetcake' town too....rofl............ icon_cool.gifthumbsdown.giftapedshut.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 10

That's great! If they love your cake, they're willing to pay the price. thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:05am
post #4 of 10

Good for you!

My husband is still acting as a stand-in backbone for me...I don't sell cakes but our friends ask for lots. The other day one of his coworkers asked him about a birthday cake for his son, and DH told him that I was only doing cakes I wanted to take pictures of and that the cost for my ingredients is usually about $40. So he opted for Walmart icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Of course, if it had been a coworker that DH liked the answer might have been different.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:15am
post #5 of 10

Good for you! That must feel great!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:37am
post #6 of 10

I start baking in my new commercial kitchen today and I've been thinking about a minimum order also because I work a full time job too. I think you all just talked me into it! I very seldom do a cake for under $50 anyway, so that is going to be my minimum. After seeing how that goes, I may raise it after the first of the year.

Susan

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:17am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahsmom

Okay - so I do not have a spine.

I don't think you can say this anymore -- I think you now officially DO have a spine!! thumbs_up.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:26am
post #8 of 10

Everyone wants something for nothing and it's so hard to make them realize that THIS AIN'T that darn easy and can't be done in 1 hour. Heck, takes me that long to bake it. So, I had to learn pretty quick to say, I don't think so, have you checked Kroger/Walmart?" (I don't charge for the cakes, I only have them buy their supplies)...and I work 40+ hours a week also.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 11:42am
post #9 of 10

I'm proud of you!

Your cakes are fabulous and it deserves to cost more.

Good luck with more cake orders.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everybody!

Yep, a spine feels good! It feels good to know that I CAN stick to my guns and it also feels good to know that my cakes taste so good they don't CARE that I'm sticking to my guns!!!!

And, I have a possible bride for next November (daughter of the gal I did the theater cake for). I guess everyone from that party is STILL talking about the cake. icon_biggrin.gif YAY!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%