If Someone Has Ever Tried To Talk You Down In Price.....

Business By indydebi Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm by Writecakes

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 30

You have GOT to watch this video! I found it on a vendor forum on Wedding Wire. Definitely was made by someone who runs a business! Hysterical! Some wedding vendors posted that they have put this link on their webpage.

29 replies
cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 30

That's too funny. icon_lol.gif
I am tempted to send it to a lady who emailed me today wanting a birthday cake, I had already quoted her $125 and she wants it for $75 icon_confused.gif
The problem is, she is a event planner, you'd think she'd know better.

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:16am
post #3 of 30

I LOVE this video!!! Everyone here should watch that! Thanks for sharing.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 30

Unfortunately, there are people out there who do try to negotiate prices like this everywhere they go.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #5 of 30

Oh man, that's good!!!!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of 30

hee hee, I love the hair cut lady.

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:30am
post #7 of 30

That was great!!! Can't wait to show it to alot of people! Thanks.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:34am
post #8 of 30

Honey you haven't been talked down until you are sitting in the oversized kitchen of a 10,000 square foot mansion with a lady so cheap she tells me "but you don't understand, I want a 6 foot wedding cake and I don't want to pay for it!" icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:43am
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Honey you haven't been talked down until you are sitting in the oversized kitchen of a 10,000 square foot mansion with a lady so cheap she tells me "but you don't understand, I want a 6 foot wedding cake and I don't want to pay for it!" icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

"No, but YOU'RE the one who doesn't understand ... YOU want a 6 ft wedding cake and *I* dont' want to pay for it!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 30

LOL thats funny a 6' cake for free

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #11 of 30

That was hilarious Debi! It really puts things in perspective. I think most of us have dealt with idiots like that before....LOL!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #12 of 30
Quote:

I suppose that's how you get to own a 10 000 square foot mansion; by not paying for as much as possible. icon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:20am
post #13 of 30

Thanks Debi, that was really funny. I wish I had your quickness in responses. Usually I think several hours later "oh man, I should have said ______"

indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:44am
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

Thanks Debi, that was really funny. I wish I had your quickness in responses. Usually I think several hours later "oh man, I should have said ______"

i complained to hubby one day that I just couldn't "think fast on my feet" with good comebacks. he said it had nothing to do with being able to think fast .... it had everything to do with life experience, handling that type of thing before, so "....the NEXT time it happens...!" then you know what to say.

So it appears the only thing I've gotten faster at, as I got older, was coming up with smarta$$ answers! icon_lol.gif

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:58am
post #15 of 30

lol, loved it!!! thanks for sharing!!! something happend to me like that Debbie, you know the big 750 cupcake order?? i was charging only 1.75 with a custom 4x6 board, i was basically going to make a cupcake cake with 750 cupcakes in the shape of the world map, they said, oh really that much?? well we only budgeted a quarter of that amount for these can you do it for that?? i said NO!!! sure i was sad for not doing the order, but i do not work for free!!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:09am
post #16 of 30

THAT is hilarious!!! Hmmm, I wonder how I can work that video into my cosultations...

indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykonst

..... well we only budgeted a quarter of that amount for these can you do it for that?? i said NO!!!

First, GOOD FOR YOU!!!! party.gif

2nd, I ALWAYS want to ask these people, "And just how did you come up with that number?" (if I'm in a pi$$y mood, I want to ask "And what part of your body did you pull that number out of? icon_rolleyes.gif ). Geesh, they just pick a number and then expect YOU to adjust for it. aaauuuggghhhh!!!!

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:11am
post #18 of 30

i know!! and to say they didnt have the funds?? they are a nation wide bank!!!!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #19 of 30

Excellent video. I loved how they used different types of businesses to make the point. Amazing how many of the people wouldn't recognize themselves in this even after watching it..... lol

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:27am
post #20 of 30

I JUST went thru this...a "friend" from a place I use to work asked me to do this very special shower cake for a friend of hers. So I drew up three designs, she picks one and says, how much for that one...so I say, well, normally I would charge 150 but for you I'll do it for 85. She looked at me in shock and said, but I only have 35! I pointed out that 35 wouldn't cover the cost of the materials and she gives this big, no doubt designed to engender guilt in me, sigh saying "oh well, guess I'll have to go to Costco". As calmly as I could I said "If that is your budget then, yes, you will get much more cake for your money..." and let it go at that. SIGH...no, won't work for pennies and won't buy your cake for you...

Cat

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:48am
post #21 of 30

INDYDEBI ROCKS!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

That was awesome! Sharing it on Facebook this instant!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:09pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

"No, but YOU'RE the one who doesn't understand ... YOU want a 6 ft wedding cake and *I* dont' want to pay for it!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Boy I'm tellin' ya! icon_razz.gif The funny thing about it is that she was flying in orchids from Bogota to put on the cake! icon_eek.gif Let me guess, she doesn't want to pay for those either! icon_confused.gif

I did end up doing the cake for her though and she paid me four figures, not five, but it was a good learning experience. It's the "towering inferno" cake in my pix (complete with orchids from Bogota!) icon_rolleyes.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:32pm
post #23 of 30

Funny. I love little snippets like this.
I love at the end how they are asking the Chef to show them how to make the dish so they can make it at home. I've had people ask me this many times. How do you make this and what technique do you use so that way I don't need your services anymore.
icon_confused.gif Seriously, do I look that stupid? icon_lol.gif

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:02am
post #24 of 30

HeeHeeHee!!!!! Oh, Debi, this is soooo perfect!! And bobwonderbuns....you crack me up!! No matter how much they try to talk me down and tell me "It's just cake" I will KEEP ON CAKING!! It's in my blood, baby!!!! At MY price! icon_mad.gif

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:42am
post #25 of 30

This is so great!! You Know... just this morning I was wondering what on earth to say to people who try to beat my price down...they come up with the weirdest things to say and sometimes I just don't know aht to say back... this will surely help!! icon_wink.gif

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:39am
post #26 of 30

I've got one for ya. Did a pretty big party cake for a gal. She agreed to the price. Acted like it was no big deal. I delivered the cake to her. She is even holding the cash in her hand. The correct amount, and she is trying to change the subject, and discuss "other things" trying to avoid the situation, when she even asked me dumbly, " so how much is the cake again?" I tell her again and she gives me this look like her eyes are going to pop out of her head and then she just hands me the wad of cash like she is disappointed in me or something. It really pissed me off. But I got over it real quick!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:10pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy1975

I've got one for ya. Did a pretty big party cake for a gal. She agreed to the price. Acted like it was no big deal. I delivered the cake to her. She is even holding the cash in her hand. The correct amount, and she is trying to change the subject, and discuss "other things" trying to avoid the situation, when she even asked me dumbly, " so how much is the cake again?" I tell her again and she gives me this look like her eyes are going to pop out of her head and then she just hands me the wad of cash like she is disappointed in me or something. It really pissed me off. But I got over it real quick!

She was just hoping that you'd come down in price since she was asking in person. Luckily, you stood your ground. icon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #28 of 30

Ok, I guess I'm gonna make all of you hate me now....... I will first say that I have had people who simply couldn't afford my cakes, but being new, and especially at the very beginning I would adjust my price for certain people so they could get a cake and I could get the practice. Here's the hate me part. I've never, so far, knock on wood, had anyone try to talk me down on price at delivery. (I know, now it will happen). I've never even had to ask for payment, they just have it for me. The last cake I delivered, the woman handed my wife the money. My wife counted it and found it was over. She told the woman she gave her too much and tried giving her back the extra, but the woman moved closer and said she knew that, but wanted me to have it anyway. This was the 2nd time I've had someone give me more than the agreed upon price. Ok, so start throwing your pies at me now (I know you'd never intentionally damage a cake), but can I request the flavor pie you throw. lol icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Ok, I guess I'm gonna make all of you hate me now....... I will first say that I have had people who simply couldn't afford my cakes, but being new, and especially at the very beginning I would adjust my price for certain people so they could get a cake and I could get the practice. Here's the hate me part. I've never, so far, knock on wood, had anyone try to talk me down on price at delivery. (I know, now it will happen). I've never even had to ask for payment, they just have it for me. The last cake I delivered, the woman handed my wife the money. My wife counted it and found it was over. She told the woman she gave her too much and tried giving her back the extra, but the woman moved closer and said she knew that, but wanted me to have it anyway. This was the 2nd time I've had someone give me more than the agreed upon price. Ok, so start throwing your pies at me now (I know you'd never intentionally damage a cake), but can I request the flavor pie you throw. lol icon_smile.gif

Anything but the apple (pie). No fudge pie either...

After a million years/deliveries I finally got a fifty dollar tip--I felt like a million!

I had this one chick who wanted a designer cake for pennies then quiz me about whether I use real vanilla but also which brand because she was told that Watkins or whatever was the best.

I said something as indirect as I could that--you're asking me for an economy cake and you've got the nerve to question the caliber of my real vanilla? <Ucgh!> Not just dumb so dumb.

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #30 of 30

"indydebi"
So it appears the only thing I've gotten faster at, as I got older, was coming up with smarta$$ answers! icon_lol.gif

And this is just one of the many, many reasons you are one of my most admired and loved cake mentors thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%