My Buttercream Frosting Is Unspreadable.

Decorating By normay Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm by Texas_Rose

normay Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 7

I have follwed the Wiltton's Buttercream Frosting recipe many times now and for the life of me I cannot easily spread it on a cake (it will not stick to the cake). I have had to press it on it clumps and then ever so carefully spread it with a knife dipped in water. Can anybody make a reccomendation on how to tweak the recipe so that I can actually spread this stuff more easily.

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 7

Thin it with corn syrup to get to spreading consistency, or add more milk.

I used to use Wilton's recipe, but when I came to CC, everyone was raving about a great recipe, so I tried it and I've been using it ever since: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

dsilbern Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 7

Did the recipe have instructions to add more water (or milk) to make it thin? Adding more liquid thins out the frosting so it spreads more easily. I also like to pipe the frosting on the cake with a # 12 tip then spread it.

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 7

I often wonder why there seems to be this "fear" of playing with a recipe to make it work? I see it on here frequently. If the icing is too thick, then thin it down with milk, water, etc. If it's too thin, then add more sugar.

There is no Recipe Police out there who will track you down if you alter the recipe. Go for it! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I often wonder why there seems to be this "fear" of playing with a recipe to make it work? I see it on here frequently. If the icing is too thick, then thin it down with milk, water, etc. If it's too thin, then add more sugar.

There is no Recipe Police out there who will track you down if you alter the recipe. Go for it! thumbs_up.gif

Sheesh....I rarely even meausre anymore. icon_eek.gif One of these days it may bite me!

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Quote:

Sheesh....I rarely even meausre anymore. icon_eek.gif One of these days it may bite me!

I hear ya, sista!! I view a recipe as a nice little "guideline"! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Quote:

I hear ya, sista!! I view a recipe as a nice little "guideline"! thumbs_up.gif

icon_lol.gif Me too!!! DH laments the fact that he may never get exactly the same meal twice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%