Cupcake Bouquet With A Side Of Midol, Please...

Decorating By HeatherWantsCake Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 3:13am by loulou2

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 10

So, a co-worker orders some cupcakes for a baby shower at work. Her only specifications: Eighteen of 'em, in blue. Fair enough. I can work with that. I decided, after seeing great pictures on here, to try a hydrangea cupcake bouquet.

Since I had everything I needed on hand for WASC, I went with that. Plain old vanilla BC didn't seem fancy enough, though. Blue.. something blue.. I know! Blue Kool-Aid. Hm.. "blue raspberry lemonade" says the package. Sure, why not.

This is long enough as it is, so I'll omit a paragraph or two of PMS-fueled whining about DH "helping" with assembling the flower pots and almost earning the placement of my hot glue gun somewhere uncomfortable, and how what started out as hydrangeas became "uh.. blue flowers" and skip right to the fun part. Transporting them to work.

I found the biggest box I had on hand and every so gently packed up the three pots. I drove slowly enough to invite road rage from fellow motorists. I avoided construction and tiptoed the box into the office before allowing myself to exhale - made it!! They sat on my desk for an hour or two before I got up to move them to the party room. I took two steps away from my desk, hit the wall with a flap on the box, and one of the pots tipped over.

Of course it flipping did. <sigh>

And, naturally, one cupcake fell out of the pot, landed on its head in the box and was irreparably smooshed. And the lady who ordered them - a manager who runs hot and cold at the best of times - standing right there. She was fine with it - said we'd just turn that part of the pot to the back and it'd look fine. We did, and it did, but I was still just sick about it. I've never given a customer something that was less than the best I could do and had no way to fix this.

Trying to convince myself that all was well and at least they'd taste good, we fast-forward to the baby shower luncheon and the answer to "why not" blue raspberry lemonade BC. The first person to taste it - my boss and good friend - immediately makes a face and then scrapes all of the icing off her cupcake and plops it on mine. The next person to taste it - sitting two chairs down from me loudly states "Hmm. I'm not sure I really care for this." (though later said when eaten with a bite of cake, instead of just on its own, it was quite good. Well .. duh)

Long story one word long: WAH!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
(Below: At home.. before .. well.. everything..)

9 replies
vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 10

But they look so beautiful!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 10

They sure do, they look yummy too

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 10

Those look great. Love it. I don't like that flavor of kool-aid, but I would have eaten these.

HeatherWantsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherWantsCake Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 10

Thank you VT, Unique and Rosie. That picture was taken at home and, for once, I actually thought they looked pretty spiffy, too.

Then I smooshed one. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I'm still just sick about it.

I know that I'm overreacting just a tad icon_rolleyes.gif (Hello hormones! Pass the Midol?) but can't seem to stop obsessing over this.

sarahnash_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnash_14 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:17am
post #6 of 10

They're really, really pretty icon_smile.gif It must have been hell transporting them. I could only imagine. Kool-Aid and buttercream, though? I'm not a big fan of tangy-milk flavors... icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:13am
post #7 of 10

Awweeee, one fell icon_sad.gif

Your arrangement is lovely and bright and for your first time - credit to you thumbs_up.gif
can't comment on the blue kool-aid bit - don't know if we have that over here - wellll i have never seen it.

LOL at your DH and the glue gun adventure - icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

Bluehue.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #8 of 10

Sigh - I know how that feels when you "try something new" and it turns out weird. I made doily covered cupcakes where the doilies became oil soaked from the cupcake liner (d'oily cupcakes) , made a tiramisu cake with really nasty tasting ladyfingers surrounding it on the sides (didn't realize they were awful until AFTER putting them on my cake - I never bother with any ladyfingers at all anymore - not worth it and they actually look better without them)...it's so mortifying thinking "everyone is just going to remember the bad cakes I make" but it's not true - people remember the good ones more so - you'll knock their socks off next time don't stressicon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #9 of 10

PS - the cupcakes do look beautiful thoughicon_smile.gif

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #10 of 10

I made the giant cupcake (Wilton pan) and it rolled over onto its side on the way to work because it was so top heavy!! I patched it up best i could & added more sprinkles!! I feel your pain & frustration-at leastn the lady was nice about it. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%