Bake Tonight Or Tomorrow?what Do You Do?

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 11:38pm by cjcakie

sweetneice Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 9

I have a wedding cake due on Saturday. Im also a bridesmaid as well. The wedding doesnt start until 5 pm on Saturday but I don't want to be pressed or stressed for time on saturday at all. Normally I bake and decorate on Friday and it is REALLY REALLY DRIVING ME BANNANAS! I know alot of people who bake on thursday and freeze, but I'm afraid the cake will dry out if I do that and lose the fresh taste they like so much. Someone told me to wrap it and regfrigerate it today, and decorate tomorrow. I don't know what to do, I just want to make this as easy as possible and actually from now on! Who bakes on Thursday? How does that work for you? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

8 replies
jardot22 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 9

The cake will still be very fresh if you bake today - I usually bake on Monday or Tuesday, freeze them until Thursday, crumb coat Thursday evening, and decorate Friday night for a Saturday cake. I always get compliments on the moistness and flavor of the cake. You should be just fine - no worries. Just get it out of the way so you can relax.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 9

I did a wedding cake a couple of weeks ago for a Saturday morning delievery to be served that evening. I work a full time job as well as teach Wilton classes. I had to bake on Wed night, wrapped and left them out on the counter. I didn't have room in the freezer to prebake. Thursday night after class I torted, filled and crumb coated. Decorated Friday after work.

The cake was fine, still most and good and no one knew the difference. If you baked tonight your cake would be perfectly fine until Saturday evening. I don't even see the point in freezing in this short period of time.

sweetneice Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 9

Omg! I'm so glad to hear testimonials and success stories on this! How did you wrap yours? I was thinking to use saran wrap. Is that enough?

sadsmile Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 9

I bake a day or two ahead and freeze the first night, stack and fill then refridgerate, and then cover and decorate the day before.

You can leave the cake out if your temperature in your house is cool and you don't have a bug issue of any kind or any animals that would suddenly have a tatse for cake...LOL

TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 9

I just wrapped mine in press n seal until I ran out of it then use saran wrap for the rest. I wrapped a couple of times one direction then wrapped a couple of times around in the other. I actually had to open the wrap and let the sides of the cake dry a little bit cause I was afraid it would be too moist for the icing to stick.

jardot22 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 9

I wrap mine right out of the oven with the heavy duty cling wrap from Sam's - works like a charm every time!

indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 9

Freezing adds moisture to a cake.

Refrigerating a cake accelerates the process that causes a cake to go stale. Freezing halts the going-stale process.

The freezer is your friend, not your enemy.

As another CC'er pointed out once, the opposite of "fresh" is not "frozen". I've done tests with brides, asking them to tell me which cake they are eating was baked this morning and which was in my freezer for 3 weeks? They ALWAYS pick the wrong one. ALWAYS.

cjcakie Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 9

I'm certainly no expert but I've found that if I have a cake delivery on Sat. and I bake on Wed. or Tue. freezing even that one or two days makes no difference other than getting a head start on the cake. My cakes are always moist and I think they are easier to handle when it's time to torte and fill. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%