Just A Friendly Reminder From One Business Owner To Another.

Business By Carolynlovescake Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm by hjustesen

Carolynlovescake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 10

Back up your system!

A month ago my laptop died and it's been very painful in many ways. He's not had the time to look at it leaving me to recreate on my other system that I needed instantly.

The good news is that due to his vast knowledge and access to programs at work we were able to view and access the data last night and save everything (with the possible exception of my e-mail addresses and messages in the e-mail program which in the grand scheme of what I could have lost is small stuff).

For most standard computer users who don't have access to someone like my husband the data would have been either unrecoverable, or a very expensive computer repair bill. icon_cry.gif

He has it at work again today trying to figure out what went wrong and he sent me a picture...

I'm familiar with the blue screen of death, and when I saw this I had to laugh... a pink screen... what does a pink screen mean... it means my hard drive went bust and I need a new one. I dubbed it "the pink screen of expense".

That computer is barely a year old and shouldn't have had a drive gone bad and thankfully I had the ability to recover my information, others might not be that lucky.

The good news is, my cake pictures, recipes, kids pictures, business records for two businesses etc are all backed up now on a disk and an external hard drive. My husband hasn't given me a bill for services yet but I see a butt load of brownie baking in my future. icon_lol.gif

So for those that haven't taken the time to invest in a way to back up your systems please let me say from experience... please take the time and the expense.

This is a public service message from someone who doesn't want any of you to go through what I have gone through this last month with this situation. It's been awful.

9 replies
cutthecake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 10

Thanks for that heads up. I'm a terrible backer upper. I better use that external hard drive I bought ages ago.

kelleym Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 10

I second that.

Hard drives WILL fail. Operating systems WILL crash. Your daughter WILL spill chocolate milk on your laptop.

I see it every day. Back up your stuff.

cakesdivine Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:29am
post #4 of 10

Yes I learned the hard way myself... All's good now...knock on wood.

indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 10

I have to reiterate the message. 2 weeks ago, I got a virus that pretty much ate my hard drive. Like the OP, I have family (my son) who does computers for a living so he came over to check it out. He came into the living room and said, "Mom, you are, in what we say in technical terms, f*cked."

He had to do a complete data recovery and rebuild my harddrive.

He'd been after me to get a USB thing and back up everything. I'd been after him to go buy me a USB thing. I told him, "John, you say USB, I say pantyhose!" icon_confused.gif Now if he wants to tell me to buy a kitchen tool, I'm there! DON'T tell me to just go buy some computer thingy!

Monkess Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 10

The USB thingys (lol...cute) are simple keys you can pick them up at best buy for under $20. I am not a computer whiz either but this was literally a breeze and what a relief to have everything backed up.

Shelle_75 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I have to reiterate the message. 2 weeks ago, I got a virus that pretty much ate my hard drive. Like the OP, I have family (my son) who does computers for a living so he came over to check it out. He came into the living room and said, "Mom, you are, in what we say in technical terms, f*cked."

Almost wrecked my own 'puter spitting out my milk laughing at that one!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

heavenlys Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:19am
post #8 of 10

Lost my office computer too! Lucky for me my hot I.T. guy had already talked me into a back up hard drive.
Only had to buy a new cpu. yuck!!
But I have lost everything before and hot I.T. couldn't save it that time it was Baaaaaad! Always back up your stuff. I use a memory stick and and a hard drive and keep it on 2 separate computers. I never wanna have to rebuild all my documents again.

jonahsmom Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:19am
post #9 of 10

Well...

I'm on my THIRD laptop because the first one my dog knocked a bottle of water onto (stupid me for setting on the couch while I walked away for a second!) and the second one I destroyed myself. With spilled milk. icon_cry.gif

I don't drink anything near my laptap anymore.

hjustesen Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 10

I've gone both directions--once my brilliant dh was able to save everything off the hard drive. The other time I lost it all--which included 25 pages of a manuscript I hadn't backed up yet! icon_cry.gif I'm really trying to be more diligent about saving my documents to the server now (which is also backed up auttomatically, every hour by Carbonite--a total must for us with our computer business).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%