First Consultation....need Help/advice!

Decorating By SimplyIced Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm by sweetneice

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 5

Hello CC'ers! Fairly new to this baking for business stuff, but I'm learning as I go. Thank GOD for CC!!!

I just had a request for my first wedding cake tasting/consultation. I'm excited about it, but scared at the same time. I've done one wedding cake and that was for a friend of mine! How do I go about doing this tasting? What do I use for the samples, how many samples, what do I need to take with me, etc. ANY advice on this would be much appreciated!!!

I'm so excited...yet SO SCARED!!!

4 replies
Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 5

I'm very new at this, like you but we had our first wedding cake consult/tasting, the end of August. The wedding is next weekend. We actually asked the wedding planner if the B & G had any flavors in mind & they advised exactly what they wanted to taste, so that was a huge help. We frosted them lightly with buttercream & gave them a small sample of the fondant. Only did the fondant sample b/c they were on the fence.
Have you asked if they have something in mind?
Also we limited to 3 flavors, otherwise, you could potentially have some say they want to taste 5 or 6 different flavors. I went on several websites, including this one, to come up with a contract & had it reviewed by a legal eagle. If you can find some sample contracts, then you can probably put together little pieces from a few of them & that will give you an idea of items you need to discuss.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot but the more experienced CC'ers will chime in. Good luck!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 5

check the business forum, there are lots of good posts about the many many different ways to do this. (look out for the ones regarding how to ensure people actully turn up)
charge for the tasting? count the charge towards the final cake? free? charge for missed appointments?
a 6 inch cake (please, only do this if you charge!), squares of cake, mini cupcakes... (most effective to bake a cake/ use left over batter (could be fresh) and freeze, then defrost as needed)
iced cakes, or plain cake with bowls of frosting?
cake to take home, or sit and discuss as tasting?
xx

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 5

I use cupcakes in the flavor they choose, which is up to 3 by the way! I limit the tasting to 3 people as well,or else some will bring thier whole family! I have my contracts ready, go over payments and deposits, of course talk about thier vision, location, time, etc. The last thing I do is ask if there are any questions that weren't asked. I give them my card at the end if they don't book right there, as well as a copy of the contract, and all the things we've discussed so they can look at it when they go home.

Be sure and take your calculator, a wilton book for backup on cake serving sizes to double check yourself if needed, and a receipt book just in case they book right then! lol!
Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%