Bake Even Strip Issues

Decorating By smithsm Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm by smithsm

smithsm Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 5

I baked 2 - 10 inch cakes and even though I used the bake even strips, the cakes are still domed and uneven. I followed the directions. I soaked the strips in water. I made sure the oven was at 350 degrees before I put the cakes in. ( I have an oven thermometer that hangs off of the rack)
The cake pans were on a cookie sheet so when I wrapped the pans with the cake strips, they seemed to be tight around the pans.

Any advice?? I am not sure what I did wrong..

4 replies
Barb1959 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 5

Depending how much they domed, one technique I found on Youtube is to take a towel and when they come out of the oven pat down the cake while it is still hot. This works to make it not so domed.

Hope this helps.

tiggy2 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 5

I would try baking at 325 and put a flower nail upside down in the center of each pan (along with the bake even strips). I use flower nails on anything over 8" to help disburse the heat and it works great.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 5

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I always soak my strips in ice cold water. You also want to make sure you don't wring them out too much.

I do bake at 325 and use a flower nail for 3in tall pans or 10in and over pans. I'll still get a little bit of a dome sometimes but nothing I can't work with icon_smile.gif

smithsm Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 5

Great! Thanks for the advice.. I will definatley give the flower nail and lower oven temp a try.. and now that I think about it, soaking them in cold water probably does make a difference too... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%