Stems For Standing Flowers

Decorating By AlphaGirl Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm by KimAZ

AlphaGirl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 6

Lovely ladies,

Help! I want to make a flowerpot cake with flowers. I can make the flowers themselves, but I can't figure out how to (1) make the stems, (2) attach the flowers to the individual stems and (3) have the stemmed flower actually stand up in the cake as if it's growing from the dirt.

I know with all the great things I've seen on this site, someone can help! icon_lol.gif

Thanks bunches!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 6

Most people use floral wire for stems for gumpaste flowers. It comes in different thicknesses called gauges. The lower the gauge, the thicker the wire. For a big flower like a rose, 18 gauge is strong enough to hold it. I buy the 18 gauge at Walmart. I've only found it in silver color, not green, so I cover it with floral tape. To attach the flower, bend the end of the wire into a hook, dip it into gum glue, and then push the wire into the gumpaste, twisting to secure it with the hook.

There are some really lovely flowerpot cakes in the galleries.

You could probably use royal icing if you want to do piped flowers...pipe bases on waxed paper, insert wires, let dry, then make the flowers separately and glue them on with a bit more royal icing.

AlphaGirl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you for such a quick and informative response! Um.... one more little question..... what is gum glue? I know -- I'm such a novice!!

Cakepro Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 6

Gum glue is simply a pea-sized piece of gumpaste dissolved in 4 Tbsp of water. You can vary the gumpaste:water ratio depending on how thick or thin you want the gum glue. You can also use Tylose dissolved in water or straight egg white.

Just be sure not to put wire directly into cake. You will need to use drinking straws in the cake, into which you will insert the wire.

If you are making full-blown roses, you may find you need 2 or 3 18g wires, not only to increase the strength of the wire, but to increase the size of the stem. A rose on a single 18g wire would not be balanced correctly (as far as stem size goes).

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 6

I use tylose mixed with water to make my glue icon_biggrin.gif

Here's the gumpaste recipe that I like best:

KimAZ Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 6

I just did a cake with flowers that stand directly upright. They are larger flowers ( tulips and hyicynths) and they were made with fondant. I used a wooden dowel that was wrapped with green fondant for the stem. The flower was inserted on the top of the dowel and the dowel was then inserted into the cake, straight up and down.

It's the Garden Critter cake in my profile if you care to see.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%