Florida Cake Decorating Competition

Decorating By Joanne1944 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm by cakefairy03

Joanne1944 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 4

The dates for the 2010 Cake Decorating Competition at the Central Florida Fair in Orlando will be February 25 - March 7. Cakes will be due the prior weekend, Feb 20 - 21, if the schedule follows the same format as this year.

This is just a "heads-up" to give you the dates so we can all start planning. The rules have not been posted on the Fair's website yet, but usually are published a few months in advance.

This year there were 4 separate Divisions: Adult Professional, Adult Amateur, Adult Beginner (less than 18 months experience) and Youth. The divisions were handled as completely separate competitions and a Best In Show was awarded in each division.

There is no charge to enter and you can submit as many entries as you wish. The entry form will be posted on-line at the same time as the rules are. As I recall, the only restriction is that entrants must be full or part time residents of Florida. This year there were as many entries from outside Orlando as there were from within the Orlando area.

This year there were at least 12 different categories in each Division incuding all kinds of different cake categories, decorated cookies, cookie bouquets and even one category for gumpaste flowers.

I will post more information as soon as I see it. The website is www.centralfloridafair.com and the cake decorating information will be published under Competitions.

3 replies
Joanne1944 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 4

Just to give you an idea for planning purposes, this year the Categories in each of the Adult Divisions were:
Fair Theme
Wedding Cake 2 - 3 tiers
Wedding Cake 4+ tiers
Groom's Cake
Novelty/Shaped Cake
Holiday or Special Occasion
Miscellaneous Cake
Gingerbread House
Miniatured Tiered Cake
Decorated Cookies
Decorated Cookie Bouquet
Decorated Cupcakes
Specimen Flower (gumpaste, Mexican paste or cold porcelain)

I think they may add a Buttercream only category next year, but I am not sure.

In the Youth Division there were fewer categories
Fair Theme
Gingerbread House
Decorated Cookies
Decorated Cupcakes

Joanne1944 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 4

Photos of some of this year's entries have been posted under the Events Section of the CC Cake pictures. The album is titled 2009 Central Florida Cake Contest. I wish I had taken pictures of all the entries. Next year I will be sure to.

cakefairy03 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for all that info! I think I might try to enter something next year!

Quote by @%username% on %date%