Freezing Fondant Flowers?

Decorating By Classycakes Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 9:58am by auzzi

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 5

I have a customer who wants to pick up his cupcake order a week early and freeze them until his wedding next weekend. 150 red velvet cupcakes, topped with a swirled buttercream icing and decorated with a fondant (homemade fondant) calla lily. Will the fondant flowers droop or collapse after he takes them out of the freezer? I haven't frozen any fondant before so I'm unsure about the result. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
natou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natou Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 5

I froze small fondant palm trees before ( the palms were attached to pretzel sticks) after I put them on the cake and while I was driving , the palm leaves started to break, never happened to me before so I blamed it on the frozen part.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 5

It may--especially if the flower has some thin edges. The condensation may be your biggest issue.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #4 of 5

I wouldn't do it. I'd pkg up the flowers separately and suggest he place them on the cupcakes after they've defrosted and are dry to the touch. Perhaps someone in the wedding party could help out. Of course you may have to charge him a little extra for all of the packaging you would need to provide.

Where the heck is he going to freeze 150 cupcakes anyway?! icon_smile.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:58am
post #5 of 5

Advise him against it ... then get it in writing that he accepts ALL responsibility for any action that HE takes .. and make him sign and date it. Make sure he pays in full for it before he does anything stupid ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%