Cake Crisis

Decorating By mag719 Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 1:18am by moxey2000

mag719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mag719 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forums and I'm hoping someone can give me some tips to help with my cake baking issues...

Ok, I started taking a cake decorating class, and this week we have to take a cake..the first week the teacher gave us her "recipe". What she does is combine a Betty Crocker Vanilla Cake mix and a box of Dromedary Pound Cake Mix. She said to replace the water with milk. Ok..so I did this last night and it a bit of a disaster. The top was a bit cruncy( a tip the teacher gave was to put a piece of saran wrap over top of the cake while its cooling, and then when you remove the saran wrap it takes the crust off) Anyway, they took about 30 minutes longer to cook than they were supposed to( I'm wondering if it was just too much liquid in the batter even though I followed the instructions on the boxes). After they cooled for about 30 mins, i took them out of the pans...the one cake just broke on half...the other...was just a mess. So a few questions I have are.

1) Has anyone ever tried this combo of boxed cakes before? Or does anyone have a good receipe for a cake that is good for being decorated?

2) How do you generally grease a pan? I used cooking oil..but it still stuck..and is overgreasing possible?

3)How long do you let your cakes cool?

10 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 11

I use Baker's Joy and a lot of cc'ers use a combo of equal parts of shortening, oil, and flour for greasing pans. Did you have your cake resting on it's domed top? If so, that is likely why it broke, there's nothing to support the edges of the cake. You need to flip it back on it's bottom right away! Since this is your first post, someone will likely come along soon and provide you with a link to the google document for a favorite cake recipe with many variations - WASC, or white almond sour cream cake. Hope that helps. Welcome to cc!!

Lauren251 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauren251 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 11

Hi Mag719! I am as well taking the first cake decorating class. My instructor did not give us a recipe though, but did give us some tips.

1st before I took the class I used a parchment circle on the bottom of the pan and greased the pan with Pam. This works very well, but then I used a lot of parchement paper. Therefore my instructor said to use cake release, I have already used it once while baking cakes last night it works just as well the cakes do not stick and slide out really smoothly. Cake release is a thick liquid and you would just need a thin layer to grease the sides and bottom of the pan, make sure you get the corners

To help with the crusting, have you tried magic baking strips? They are wonderful and bake your cake evenly as well.

As far as the recipe goes I have not tried the kind of cake box mix you have mentioned, but I do use duncan hines and put a box of instant pudding in the recipe (this makes it more dense). I also substitute the water for buttermilk, not sure what the difference between buttermilk and milk is besides the thickness though.

Hope this helps some.

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 11

I almost always use WASC and it's a favorite. I almost use the Wilton Cake Release, it works wonders. When I took my classes though, I used just a regular box cake mix (unless someone other my family is going to eat it). I didn't see the need in wasting money on extra ingredients for something we were going to eat unless you just want to experiment.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 11

Here's my 2 cents on your questions:

1.) I have not used that combination of box recipes. I have used with good success a box cake (betty crocker I like) with an added box of 4 serving instant pudding powder. For a chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, for a vanilla cake, vanilla pudding. I also add one extra egg in addition to the ingredients the box cake asks for. I cook until it is done. I often reduce the heat by 25 - 50 degrees in the oven and cook a bit longer. Depending on how your oven cooks you may find that you have to cook longer or shorter than the time on the box.

2.) I make a homemade cake release that is mentioned a lot in these forums. Mix well equal parts flour, shortening, veg oil. It can take a bit of elbow grease to combine them well. It seems to take forever at times. I usually ask DH to do it for me icon_smile.gif I then use a pastry brush or wax paper to spread it inside the cake pan. I cover the pan well, but not too thickly.

3) I let my cakes cool 10 minutes in the pan and then on a cooling rack for as long as it takes until its really cooled. Sometimes it can take an hour or 2. I never wrap a warm cake anymore due to the potential for bacteria growth. (personal opinion here) If you let a cake cool too long in the pan it can cause it to stick.

HTH

If I wasn't clear (I tend to ramble at times) let me know. I would be happy to clarify.

Happy Decorating!!

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 11

I also just took my first class this week. Our instructor told she uses mainly "box" cakes and so far I have only used a box cake. Until I feel comfortable I'm going to stick with what I know best. I am wondering about making the icing . . . Good luck to everyone.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 11

I always use parchment paper on the bottom of my pan and I spray the parchment as well as the sides with spray. You could use the cake release or Pam, whichever you prefer. I never liked the bake strips but, I always bake my cakes at 325 degrees instead of 350, it takes a little longer but it is worth it as they do not dome. Whenever you are baking cakes larger than 8" always invert the flower nail in the pan to conduct the heat to the center of the batter. The cake will bake more evenly and the outside will not get overdone before the center is done. I hope these tips have helped you.
evelyn

mag719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mag719 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for all the info everyone. I have seen the Wilton Release in the store before so I think I'll give that a whirl.

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 11

I also just took my first class this week. Our instructor told she uses mainly "box" cakes and so far I have only used a box cake. Until I feel comfortable I'm going to stick with what I know best. I am wondering about making the icing . . . Good luck to everyone.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #10 of 11

I use PAM with flour to grease my pans. Never had a cake stick!

I never leave a cake in the pan for more than 10 minutes. I use a timer so I know when it's been exactly 10 minutes since taking the cakes out of the oven. Then I immediatley turn out onto a cooling rack.

Never heard of that particular recipe. I bake from scratch but the WASC is very popular with other CC-ers.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:18am
post #11 of 11

I use Pam and flour also and it works really well. You don't need to buy the bake even strips, you can make your own from an old bath towel. Cut long strips about 3 1/2" wide, fold over and sew all the way down the long side, turn right side out and then finish the ends by tucking them in and sewing across. Then, when you bake you just wet one completely with cold water, wring it out, wrap around the cake pan, tie the ends in a knot and pull snuggly. I tuck the ends in if the pan is small. These work great and I've used the same ones over and over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%