Totally Off Topic-Kitchen Flooring

Lounge By smc_paralegal Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 6:40pm by redpanda

smc_paralegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smc_paralegal Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 10

I am getting ready to remodel my kitchen and wanted some opinions on flooring. Considering there are times that I am standing for long periods of time, I want something that isn't hard on the feet or back. My mom has ceramic tile and I absolutely hate it so I know it is out. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

9 replies
funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #2 of 10

DH is in floor covering. I don't know your budget but you may want to check out some not so common products. Rubber is one of the best for standing a long time. It comes in different textures and size tiles. Cork is also very good on the feet and legs.
Bamboo is popular and the better grades of laminate are attractive too.
I have ceramic tile, I don't like it much, but it was the final solution after many, many months of disagreement between DH and myself.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 10

I would also suggest cork and hardwood floors (although wood isn't best for kitchens because of water). There are also those really nice laminate flooring that looks like wood--they are thick and super durable. They actually put some padding underneath which also provide a cushion for your feet.

If I were to remodel my kitchen, I'd either use hardwood or limestone.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:37am
post #4 of 10

I've had laminate (WilsonArt) for ten years, and I love it. It's easy to clean, is pretty durable (if you get a high quality one), and cushions better than tile. Ours still looks pretty darn good, after 10 years of abuse. Other than a few scratches from kitchen chairs and a small chip from where DH dropped a wall oven (!!), it looks good as new.

We're remodeling the kitchen next month and due to a change in layout, we have to replace the flooring. After investigating our options, we will again go with laminate.

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 10

i have dogs so durability is a must for my house.
my original floors were cork. it's comfortable and absorbs sound. the problem i had in the kitchen was that a leak caused seepage underneath the floor and the cork rotted. the odor was hellacious.
i had ceramic for a while and hated it as it was so difficult to clean and it was cold.
i now have something similar to porcelin but its more durable. it's very scratch resistant but is so hard that it hurts my feet to stand on it for long periods.
i also have laminate in my house and love it as its indestructible yet soft.
the hardwood is the prettiest but there are spots near the doors where water seeped in and its a little warped and discolored.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 10

I have ceramic and I hate it. I would go with cork. You can also get Gel Mats. I know you can order them online, but I also saw them in Bed & Bath store.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 10

My dh forced hardwood on me in my kitchen, and while the flow is nice and it looked pretty for like the first year, I hate it 10 years later. It is much more delicate than you would think. It's covered with scratches, has worn away in spots, and water does damage hardwood, so in front of your sink and fridge you will always have to be super careful. It is pretty, though.

I'd go with tile and a grout that is dark or is at least not super white.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #8 of 10

I have a stone look laminate. Its about 8 years old, and still looks great. And is easier on your legs then ceramic tile

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:31am
post #9 of 10

I watch alot of the decorating shows and cork is becoming alot more popular.

I have laminate over concrete and it is killer on my legs and feet. I imagine it would be better if there was something in between to soften it. My mom has a pier and beam foundation and hers is not as bad with the laminate.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 10

My laminate is on a concrete slab, but they put padding underneath. I think that's pretty standard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%