Jewel Of The Sea

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 4:06am by favrtdtr

jlynnw Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 11

I was wanting to know how you do the lattice cage on this cake? It is the one from the 2009 OSSAS. It is in the most saved right now. I do not know how to attach it here. I have done something similar where you pipe a shell then over pipe the lattice on top. This cake looks like the cage is hollow.

10 replies
Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 11

jlynnw - you can post the link. Bring the picture up, then right click on the address bar - click on copy. Go to your post - left click where you want the link to be then right click and click paste- it will then put the link there.

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 11

I think that is the technique that is done on a form. (I am not sure of the proper name) I will see if I can find a link for the forms.....

You just pipe the royal over the form - let it dry, re-pipe, let it dry - when you are done let it dry some more, then take it off the form.

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 11
sadsmile Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 11

I think that is done right on the cake. You do a lattice pattern and layer more on top. it winds up curved because you start with a small pattern and each layer you go just outside and on top of it and as it builds up it smooths out. It's a Lambeth method.

Notice the other Lambeth scrolls where the color is darker on the bottom. I think she used the dark blue to build up the layers of lattice and then used one layer of lighter blue and then one layer of white to finish it off.

Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 11

sadsmile - you are right. I know I have seen this in one of my books - I just went and found it. It is in The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating Volume 2. (published in 1977) It is called The South African Method of decorating - trellis puffs. Chapter 7 - page 106. You do the design on the cake - this is probably the Lambeth method too - I am just posting what it is called in the book I have. You start out with vertical lines over the edge of the cake, then do horizontal ones, then vertical - just keep building it over and over - gorgeous technique!

Sorry if I steered anyone wrong with my original thoughts!

jlynnw Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 11

thanks for the info. I would have thought a form as well. I will have to find this book. EBay perhaps?

Loucinda Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #8 of 11

jlynnw - yes, ebay is the place to get these. There are 3 of them. They are no longer in print. The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating. They are also known as the Wilton encyclopedias. I think I paid $75. for the set a few years ago.

favrtdtr Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:58am
post #9 of 11

I tried to find the cake you guys are talking about but I can't figure it out. I searched for "Jewel of the Sea" in the galleries and got 74 pages!! Can one of you describe it a bit more so I can look at it please?

favrtdtr Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:06am
post #11 of 11

Loucinda - thank you sooo much!!! I'm also gonna look for those books when I can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%