How Can I Achieve This Look?

Decorating By alene Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 10:26pm by teachingmyself

alene Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:49am
post #1 of 7

Im somewhat new to cake decorating and Ive NEVER made a wedding cake. Ive been asked if I would be able to make this cake. (Please see attached picture ) What my question is, how do I achieve the look on the middle layer? Any suggestions? TIA

6 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:26am
post #2 of 7

it looks to me like whom ever made this cake used a leaf petal cutter. Cut out all the shapes to make a criss cross pattern, stuck them down. And then covered it with another sheet of fondant to give it a clean look but make it looked raised

kristiezen920 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 7

Thats pretty impressive! I would love to know how to achieve that effect.

sadsmile Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 7

Cut out circles. Lay circles in a perfect straight pattern row on top of row. Put same circle cutter evenly covering the edges four circles. Make sure it is centered over the spot in between those four circles and cut. Move to the next group of four and so on. Discard the cross shape left over from the circle centers and carefully line up your pattern.

Kathyk13 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 7

I think alene is referring to the layer at the top of the photo, above the flower. It looks like a decoration was put on the layer, then fondant was layered over top to have an indented grid-like look. Alene, is this the layer you are referring to?

sadsmile Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 7

The waffle pattern? I'd try a waffle iron, cold of coarse.

teachingmyself Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 7

I would look up patterned rolling pins.

Quote by @%username% on %date%