Can I Set Jello In Fondant? Help With A Water Feature Please

Decorating By babsylon72 Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 6:28am by lngo

babsylon72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babsylon72 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:15am
post #1 of 10

Hello!

I am making a golf cake - Sawgrass 17th hole to be exact. I want to use blue jelly/Jello (I am Australian, we actually call it jelly, the stuff that sets like gelatin) for the water/lake.

My cake is fondant covered - but in order to get a nice glassy look on my lake, can I pour in the cooled jello and have it set in the cake - or will the fondant absorb the liquid? Otherwise I will have to set the jello separately, then add it chopped up into the cake afterwards.

I don't have access to corn syrup or piping gel which is what most people seem to use on here. Plus I really want the water part to be edible.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!

9 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:13am
post #2 of 10

When I was making the pool cake I have posted, I experimented with blue jello.
I tried a few variations where the amount of water was decreased, but all my fondant scraps (used for practice) slowly dissolved anyway.

I ended up using piping gel and it worked great.
Since you can only get jello, I would add it at the last possible moment.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:19am
post #3 of 10

I saw a cake on here I can't remember who made it but they used a small plastic container they just carved the cake out and placed the container in the cake and poured the Jell-O in that container it really looked really neat

Molly

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 10

On my pool cake, I lined the hole with plastic wrap and poured in the jello. After it set, I lifted it out and flipped it onto my hand (covered in plastic wrap to avoid smudging) then flipped it back into the hole.

That was all I could think of at the time and it worked icon_smile.gif

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 10

I did one and the fondant that touched the jello was a little soft but I think my problem was putting it in the wet jello. No one noticed and it looked great (in my opinion LOL) You can see it in my pictures the pool party cake and I also took pictures and posted on my blog as a tutorial, here is the link (hope it works):

http://picasaweb.google.com/SheilaJMorales/SwimmingPoolCake#5223590797611267970

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 10

Here's a recipe for piping gel~

2 envelopes (2 Tbsps) *Knox gelatin
2 Tbsps. cold water
2 cups *Karo corn syrup

Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small saucepan and let set for about 5 minutes. Heat on low until the gelatin has become clear/dissolved - DO NOT BOIL. Add the syrup and heat thoroughly.

Cool and store, refrigerated, for up to 2 months. This can be colored and/or flavored as desired.

*Karo & Knox are the US brand names for powdered gelatin and corn syrup

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 10

K8 - you did it again...I NEVER knew there was a recipe for piping gel!! I am copy and pasting it right now. THANK YOU!! icon_biggrin.gif

babsylon72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babsylon72 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks all - I don't mind if it makes the fondant a little bit wet - I just don't want it dissolving it to the point of ruining the cake!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:19am
post #9 of 10

If you want to still use jello, what about if you coat the fondant with a layer of buttercream first, to create a moisture barrier? I would go for the above suggestion of molding the jello to get the desired shape, and make that same shape in your cake. Pop it out of the mold (or the plastic wrap like Kimmers971 used) and into your BC-lined well in the cake...have never tried it but that's what I would try anyway!

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:28am
post #10 of 10

Can you make a chocolate mold in the shape you want? If so, you can pour the jello into your chocolate shell and let it set in the refrigerator. This way, you don't have to refrigerate your fondant cake if you don't want to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%