I Wanna Cry And I Wanna Quit But Really Need Help First!

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm by all4cake

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:45am
post #1 of 21

So I was making four stacked cakes that would look like books and now the bottom one is smushing to side and breaking. . . I don't know what to do. . . it is due tomorrow. Any suggestions?

20 replies
happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #2 of 21

Sorry, I've never made one like that, but here's a bump for you.

ohayr639 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:51am
post #3 of 21

Thanks!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:57am
post #4 of 21

It sounds like the supports in the bottom tier have shifted. Is there any way you can take it apart and figure out what's going wrong?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:58am
post #5 of 21

Before further damage is done, I'd remove the other three off of it...have a board ready nearby...take a deep breath and just do the thang. If possible, if it'll make it easier to maneuver, place cake in freezer for about 30 minutes or so.

If it's smushing, something went amok with your supports....

Are you able to share pictures of the damage?

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:00am
post #6 of 21

Can you post a picture of it...sounds funny but I need to see what is going on.

Did you use any type of support for the cake like dowels or straws to help distribute the weight?

Was the bottom cake cracked at all ? or maybe the cake itself was not dense enough to hold that type of weight on top.

Post a picture if you can...if it is just the bottom cake do you have enough time to redo it?

ohayr639 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:01am
post #7 of 21

I took it apat and the bottom ones had shifted but how do I save it? Can I save it? I really just want to cry. I have sent my boyfriend to the store for more cake stuff cause I am not sure what to do. . .

ohayr639 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:14am
post #8 of 21

So I can't get the pictures loaded on here because they are too big so I added them to my other photos. . . The bottom one is smushed to the side and the two middle ones are cracked in the middle.

This probably isn't the right time but what is the best way to make a more dense cake? (ya know in case I am making a new one tonight)

G_Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:22am
post #9 of 21

Ohayr639 are you on Facebook hun? might be easier to chat via FB live then messages in forum

But so far from what you described I am thinking that the problem was that you cake was cracked.

Not sure how or why, but if the bottom layer was cracked when you began torting it or crumb coating it, chances are that it collapsed under the weight of the other cakes and was weakened by the crack.

A denser cake to try would be the WASC recipe (White Almond Sour Cream) great recipe and you can make it using cake mix that is doctored.

It tastes wonderful and will make quite a bit of batter in case you need to redo more than just the bottom layer.

Did you use any type of support system on the bottom tiers?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:22am
post #10 of 21

I do not see a photo of stacked book cakes. Did you put cake boards or some kind of support under each book/tier? Each tier should be on some kind of firm support and then each tier should have a dowel holding up any of the remaining stacked tiers. Cake alone cannot support more cake.
Sorry you are having this trouble late at night.

ohayr639 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:28am
post #11 of 21

G_Cakes I am on Facebook: my email is (mod edited for content) and my name is Rachael O'Hayre.

I already separated the cakes. Each cake was on a cardboard by itself and then there were 6 dowels in each cake. Just not sure what else I should have done.

*If you wish to receive email, please activate your CC email account.

G_Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:33am
post #12 of 21

I just looked at your photos and noticed that the supports are to close to the edge and you have none in the middle...

Not sure if you have the time to rebake another cake. But since the bottom layer is cracked bake another layer, and depending on the size of the cake that is going on top of it I would make sure to keep the supports at least 1.5-2 inches away from the edge of the cake and make sure you put a few in the center aswell.

Hope this helps you out and will be online for a few hours icon_smile.gif just in caseicon_wink.gif

Now take a deep breath, remember that this has happened to everyone on this site, and that you do amazing work...now go get em!

ohayr639 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:35am
post #13 of 21

Thanks! You have been a ton of help!! I wonder if my students I teach will mind be being quite the brat tomorrow at school!

G_Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:35am
post #14 of 21

Just sent you a friend request hun and I am online now

G_Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:41am
post #15 of 21

And if you want to try the WASC recipe here is the link:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc

It is a great recipe...good luck and just holla if you need anything icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:42am
post #16 of 21

It may just be the angle of the pictures but I agree with G_Cakes...your supports were too close to the edge. I also would say that there weren't enough supports for 3 addtional 'books' to be resting atop....and they didn't look (again..may be the angle of the picture) to be cut the same height.

I don't know what size the cakes are but I would surely consider putting the supports 3 along end, 2 toward the inside, 3 across middle, 2 toward the inside, 3 along end if the books are going to be stacked evenly(if they're to look somewhat rotated, rotate the supports as well)....

ohayr639 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:59am
post #17 of 21

Are you saying I should use about 13 dowels? Can I ever have too many?! I think I get scared that the cake will have so many holes but I guess that is better than a cake that can't stand up. . .

all4cake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:01am
post #18 of 21

what size are the 'books'?

the weight must be evenly distributed...3 on either end or two on each end and 2 in the middle is obviously not working....if those are even close to 9x13s...I'd say yes, 13, using those skinny dowels.

all4cake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:03am
post #19 of 21

and yes, one can have too many dowels. and the ones you use should be flush with the surface not above nor below the icing surface...

ohayr639 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:28am
post #20 of 21

Flush over all? Or measure each one?

I cut a 10in square into 2 pieces to make the books. I have kind of scrapped that idea for now though and am using the good on but doing something different underneath.

all4cake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #21 of 21

I am terribly I had to leave you after my last post. Geez, 13 dowels does seem a bit much for a 5x10. Cut one, at the lowest point and cut the remaining ones using that one as a guide. I remove/trim down any area to meet the surface of the dowel tops otherwise, the pressure from the tier(s)above will smoosh the excess icing and cause the tier to bust/crack. not saying that that is what happened in your case...just that it happens sometimes.

I do hope all turned out well for you an the kids took it easy on the bratty teacher today. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%