??? About Making Caramel W/ Sw. Cond. Milk

Baking By Misdawn Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm by Toptier

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:16am
post #1 of 17

Ok so I know you can boil an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk and it will become caramel. So this weekend I thought I would give it a try for the first time since I have a cake coming up that requires caramel filling.

I'm curious:

How long do you boil the can if you want the caramel thick enough to use as a filling?

AND

can you boil more than one can at a time?

Also, if I'm making four 8" rounds (3 layers of filling between), how many cans would it take?

Thanks!
Misty

16 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:23am
post #2 of 17

I wrote the info in my notebook and I have fill pot about an inch over can with water and bring to boil and when boil (hard) reduce to simmer for 2 hours making sure water stays over can. It was said that 3 cans at a time was done HTH

Misdawn Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:32am
post #3 of 17

Hey thanks Tatorchip! Now I just need to figure out how many cans I need! LOL!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:52am
post #4 of 17

My mom boils it for 3 hours and is able to slice, she also keeps it at a boil for three hours, so I would think at 2 hours it would be good for filling. It is CRITICAL that the cans are completely covered with water at all times.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:59am
post #5 of 17

I read in another thread (which I can't find) that you can cook the sw. cond. milk in the microwave. Heat for a minute and stir, repeat... until it reaches the color/consistency you want.

I did find a thread which talks about ways to make it (boil in the can, heat in a double boiler, etc)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-582642-microwave.html+dulce

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:44am
post #6 of 17

Caramel from Condensed Milk in 15 minutes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-52808.html

HTH

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:50am
post #7 of 17

Thanks JanH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:07am
post #8 of 17

You're very welcome, tatorchip. icon_smile.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:55am
post #9 of 17

Great info, thanks!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 17

I've done this in the past and would do 3 or 4 cans at a time. I boiled it over 3 hours, setting my kitchen timer ever 45 mins or so to remind myself about the water level.

Do them ahead of time because you do want the can to cool completely before you open them.

I have stopped doing them, because I buy it ready made at Walmart now. It is $2.04 for a can of Nestle's Dulce de Leche, found on the spanish aisle of the store. I like that it is ready made, no boiling and having to watch the pot for three hours and no waiting for it to cool down.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #11 of 17

Mmmmm dolce de leche! I've made it by boiling the can and it works but i also found some dolce de leche made by PC at my local Zehrs great foods..just as cheap as sw. condensed milk and just as yummy as the finished product i made at home.
When used as a filling you will find that if you put it directly on the cake it will soak into the cake in no time. I did a cake on Sat. ate it on Sun, and the dolce was almost completely soaked into the vanilla cake. Everyone raved about how good it was but i really wished it would've remained more separate like a true filling. Then I tried spreading it over buttercream first to prevent the soaking in and it was next to impossible to spread nicely.
I eat the stuff by the spoon. It's so good. That was one of my most complimented cakes for flavor and texture. Can't go wrong with dolce de leche in my book. ;0)

Misdawn Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:51am
post #12 of 17

Texassugar....does that dulce de leche soak into the cake? I never even thought about that.

And will the caramel made from the sweetened condensed milk soak into the cake too?

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Texassugar....does that dulce de leche soak into the cake? I never even thought about that.

And will the caramel made from the sweetened condensed milk soak into the cake too?

The caramal from the sweetened condensed milk will soak in. I use betty crocker super moist cake mix and that dolce from the cond. milk soaked in so much that the layer no longer looked vanilla, but caramal color.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 17

I've posted a recipe for Microwave dulce de leche and it works like a charm every time, 15-20 min is all it takes!
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14383/dulce-de-leche-ddl-quick-and-easy

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 9:28am
post #15 of 17

Boiling tins of sw condensed milk can be really dangerous. The manufacturers strongly recommend you don't do it: stacks of hospitalisations when the cans exploded. Even if you're not nearby, an exploded can will cause $$$ of damage in your kitchen. thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #16 of 17

Misdawn it soaks in a little, but it isn't enough to bother me or those that eat my cakes. Chocolate with the deluc de leche is my most requested flavor I think.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 11:24pm
post #17 of 17

Does anyone know if dulce de leche has to be refrigerated? I know that it is dairy but it is so high in sugar. I always refrigerate all of my cakes, but just wondering...also I think that if you wait until the caramel is room temp and you spread it on the cake it doesn't soak into the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%