Corn Syrup And Vodka For A High Gloss....it Really Works!

Decorating By cakewhiz Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm by ddaigle

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #1 of 30

I was very skeptical when I read one of the posts about mixing corn syrup and vodka (50/50) and painting it on dried fondant to give it a high gloss. Well, I tried it today on roosters I made out of fondant. When I checked what I had done two hours later, the fondant was very glossy. I immediately touched it with my finger and to my surprise, it was dry....not sticky at all as I thought it would be. My roosters look absolutely beautiful! I was so surprised. Thank you to whoever posted that tip. It worked perfectly and was so easy.

29 replies
Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #2 of 30

Do you have a photo? I'd love to see what you're talking about. It sounds great.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #3 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellis12

Do you have a photo? I'd love to see what you're talking about. It sounds great.

Me too. icon_smile.gif

cakewhiz Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:20am
post #4 of 30

I have tried and tried to post a photo of cakes that I have created with no luck. I know where they are in my computer, but when I want to post them, I can't find them. I am a cakewhiz....not a computer whiz...I guess.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewhiz

I have tried and tried to post a photo of cakes that I have created with no luck. I know where they are in my computer, but when I want to post them, I can't find them. I am a cakewhiz....not a computer whiz...I guess.

Well the pictures on your website are amazing, glad U figured out how to post those icon_wink.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:52am
post #6 of 30
Quote:

LOL, icon_biggrin.gif can't find your cakes?? LOL...go to 'Search' and put the title that you think you might have saved them under and your computer will look for the file...hopefully that will work. Good luck!

In any case, thank you so much for the tip I've always wonder how to make shinny fondant.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:52am
post #7 of 30

Thank you for sharing. Now I have an idea on what you use next time.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:44am
post #8 of 30

thanks .. what a neat trick

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 10:49am
post #9 of 30

Is corn syrup the same as golden syrup? I love the idea, I hope it is so I can try it over here.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:07am
post #10 of 30

Corn syrup here is the same as dark syrup but with no color so probably the same in your area , give it a try it's cheap.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:22am
post #11 of 30

Thank You for sharing

Molly

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #12 of 30

I tried this recipe but it beaded up...anyone else have this issue?
LL

ddaigle Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:14am
post #13 of 30

Anyone home????????????

cakewhiz Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:38am
post #14 of 30

I noticed in the photo that you gave us that the beading up of the corn syrup/vodka mixture looks like it only happened on the black color. The pink, yellow, and green colors look good. Is that true? Were these squares of colors thoroughly dry before putting on the corn syrup mixture?

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:56am
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I tried this recipe but it beaded up...anyone else have this issue?

I know that this isn't what you wanted, but it made interesting tile. I like this look, too.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 5:48am
post #16 of 30

Did you use any shortening on the fondant?

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:29am
post #17 of 30

I have tried the corn syrup and vodka.....but steaming does the same thing without stressing about the beading on the black. I bought a steamer from Kmart and I am so glad I did. Works great.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:38am
post #18 of 30

steaming makes it shiny, only temporarily, I thought? I have not bought one, cause I thought that the shine disappears... icon_confused.gif

ddaigle Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:11pm
post #19 of 30

Actually, more than just the black is beaded....but it is the worst. I keep my fondant for a long time, and sometimes crisco my hands when working with...it. I had a feeling it was the ingredients of home made fondant that is making it bead. But I love the shine and the fact that it doesnt dry sticky. I'm going to try it on some satin ice and see what happens.

This is a dance floor on the board of a disco cake I am doing. I am very disapponted that the floor is now ruined after my hard tile work....but if you look at it at an angle...you can't see the beaded up marks.

ddaigle Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm
post #20 of 30

**UPDATE**
Well I added a 3rd coat and almost all the colors but the black are covered nicely. Looks like a a floor with tons of Mop 'N Glo on it. I really like it. I'm sure the crisco I probably have on the black is making it resistant/bead. I really hate the black tiles!!! ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG
LL

sapphirefire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sapphirefire Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdconcc

Is corn syrup the same as golden syrup? I love the idea, I hope it is so I can try it over here.

I've found that golden syrup isn't quite the same as corn syrup. Being from the US and living in N. Ireland I was frustrated not being able to get my pecan pies, etc. to taste quite the same. BUT...I have found that Liquid Glucose is as close to corn syrup as it can get. Sainsbury's and Tesco both sell these in the baking aisle. Hope this helps!

butterfly23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly23 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:55pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Did you use any shortening on the fondant?

how much amount of vodka and corn syrupe is the recipes call for?

butterfly23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly23 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 6:58pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:

I was very skeptical when I read one of the posts about mixing corn syrup and vodka (50/50) and painting it on dried fondant to give it a high gloss. Well, I tried it today on roosters I made out of fondant. When I checked what I had done two hours later, the fondant was very glossy. I immediately touched it with my finger and to my surprise, it was dry....not sticky at all as I thought it would be. My roosters look absolutely beautiful! I was so surprised. Thank you to whoever posted that tip. It worked perfectly and was so easy.

how much of vodka and corn syrup did you use?

laraleigh09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laraleigh09 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:22pm
post #24 of 30

love this little trick! i try steam but it never stays shiny. Thanks so much for the tip, I will def be trying this one>

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly23

Quote:

how much of vodka and corn syrup did you use?

I used this trick for my "patent leather" converse-ish baby shoes on "Anna" in my photos. It's an eyeball thing, add enough vodka to the corn syrup so that it's thin and drips cleanly from the paintbrush, but doesn't run. If I had to come up with a ratio that worked for me, I'd say cakewhiz's 50/50 is accurate, e.x. 1T to 1T should do it, maybe just a little more vodka. And don't be afraid to add additional layers when dry, it'll just make it shinier. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 10:54pm
post #26 of 30

It's good to hear that this works. I am amazed at the gloss you have achieved on those tiles (even if the black ones are not to your liking)! I never thought you could get fondant or gumpaste that shiny icon_eek.gif

SMHoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMHoff Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:14pm
post #27 of 30

That is such a cool technique. Will come in handy for "glass" and things like lenses on glasses and cameras, etc. Thanks for the thread icon_smile.gif That floor is going to look awesome too!

ddaigle Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:41pm
post #28 of 30

This is a cool technique. Thanks for the recipe cakewhiz. I used corn syrup and water before but it was sticky. This dries which is sooooooooo cool. I just have to remember to not knead any crisco in my fondant if I am boing to shellac it. I am doing the cake later this week. I'll post the final pic. I think it is going to still look groovy!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:52pm
post #29 of 30

can't wait to try it! wonder if it will work with other alcohol? I usually use everclear!

ddaigle Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm
post #30 of 30

I used vodka.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%