Newbie Cookie Questions

Baking By alaskagirl3 Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm by CookieMeister

alaskagirl3 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:19am
post #1 of 10

Hi All,

I've never decorated cookies before so I want to use Antonia's Royal Icing and NFSC receipes. Once decorated how long can they be left out at room temperature? Also, how long do they take to dry before I can pack them?

Thanks so much - sorry if this is very newbie stuff.

9 replies
cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 10

I normally leave my cookies out for a few hours un-decorated. Then once I decorate them, I let them dry for about 24 hours. The outside will be dry (and the inside might possibly be dry). Just be gentle with them as you bag them and you'll be fine.

Have fun!

alaskagirl3 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:42am
post #3 of 10

Thanks so much !

How long can they be made ahead of an event (shelf life)?

cylstrial Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:29am
post #4 of 10

I also use NFSC. I prefer them to be eaten within 5 days of baking, but they can stretch to 7 days. Obviously, on the 7th day they aren't going to taste as good as they used to.

kaddikakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:48am
post #5 of 10

You must have been reading my mind. I made a batch of NFSC last night, tried to decorate a few with the premade wilton icing in the tube - disaster. So I put the rest of the cookies in layers in plastic container with wax paper between the rows (left the container on the table) and was going to decorate them tonight. Don't know if I should use RI or Glaze . . . I've never really decorated before. However, some of them I want to keep for my daughter who I won't see until next weekend (which I need to travel 6 hours to see). Long story short what should I do with the ones for my daughter and should I use RI or Glaze. Thanks.

GeminiRJ Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARYBETH09

Long story short what should I do with the ones for my daughter and should I use RI or Glaze. Thanks.

Refrigerating or freezing the cookies will extend the shelf life of the cookies. Glaze doesn't freeze very well, but I think I've found a way to make it work. First, be sure to add some brite white food color when you mix up your glaze (I use 5 drops for every cup of powdered sugar used, and I use Americolor brand). Let the decorated cookies sit for two days to fully dry the icing ( I store them in cardboard pizza boxes), then place in freezer bags. Letting the icing set before freezing seems to be the answer to the problem of the icing getting spotty or cloudy when frozen. It's best to always run a test of your particular cookie and icing!

summerluv Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 10

I am so sad! I had a cookie making disaster....

I tried the NFSC recipe for the first time. It was very dry- is it ok to just add more water? I like more of a buttery flavor...is it ok to use butter flavoring??

Now, for the worst of it. I called myself following Antonia74's RI recipe- but it was so thick that I burnt out the motor on not 1, but 2 hand mixers! So...any ideas what I did wrong? Perhaps whisk the meringue powder to much?

I know these are great recipes b/c so many of you use them! Any tips would be greatly appreciated! icon_cry.gif

Magna Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 10

I would add more butter not water, but I am just starting out myself, so I am sure pros will have an answer for you soon. When I make RI for the first time I had similar problem, then I redd that I should be adding warm water, and I did. I have not had problem since. But you could add water to your RI right now to make it thiner.

alaskagirl3 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks !!!

CookieMeister Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerluv

I am so sad! I had a cookie making disaster....

I tried the NFSC recipe for the first time. It was very dry- is it ok to just add more water? I like more of a buttery flavor...is it ok to use butter flavoring??

I rarely use the entire flour mixture in NFSC - I usually cut it by 1/4 cup because i find it too dry otherwise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%