Number One Cake... What Have I Let Myself In For.

Decorating By HRHLizzi Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 8:51am by bashini

HRHLizzi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:09am
post #1 of 5

HELP me please!! It's my son's first birthday party this weekend, and I want to make his birthday cake.

I have gone out and bought a number 1 cake tin, and whilst thinking tonight that I wasn't sure how I could cover it with fondant icing (think I'll opt out and use frosting now!) I came across an even bigger problem.

My cake-tin is a Cake tin-FRAME. I've never used one before, and have no idea how to!!

Do I place the tin on a baking tray or what? Please give me some advice!

Thank you
Lizzi xx icon_confused.gif

4 replies
happy1mom Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #2 of 5

Found this online:

"Number 1 Cake Frame

for making a cake in the shape of the number 1

To use place on a baking tray and line properly with greaseproof paper. "

Sorry, I don't have more info. I've never used one before.

bashini Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:59am
post #3 of 5

Hi Lizzi, I have used one of those frames once. What I did was, I took the greese proof paper and cut it to the shape of the tin keeping 1" boarder so you can stick that around the tin. I used sticky tape to stick them. And make sure you keep that on another tray, incase if there's any leaks. After that I never used them.

Next time what I did was, I bake my cake in a 12" X 9" rectangular tin. When its baked and cooled, I cut the cake in half lengh wise. Then assembled it as number 1.( Hope you get the picture ).Then crumbcoated it and used quite a lot of fondant and roll it out bigger then the size of the cake. Take the rolled fondant and cover the whole cake and first did the corners and the curves. That's why you need to roll out the fondant quite big. Take your smoother and go around the cake. Then cut the excess off.

And the other thing that you can do is, measure around the cake and hight of the cake and roll out the fondant and cut a strip to the measurements you took. And then attach it around the cake. Then roll out another piece of fondant, enough to cover just the top of the cake. Cover the top of the cake with that rolled fondant and using a sharp knife cut the excess. To cover the seam, you can use the clay gun.

There are few No.1 cakes that I did in my photos.

Hope all this makes sence. If you need further help, please ask. Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

HRHLizzi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much Bashini.

I did as you suggested and put baking paper on the bottom. I also lined the sides. The cake has just come out the oven and looks fantastic. It rose over the edge and seeped down one side of the tin, but that'll just cut off.

Finished (but undecorated!) cake:

bashini Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:51am
post #5 of 5

Its a pleasure! icon_smile.gif The cake looks great. Can't wait to see the end product. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%