Silicone Molds Vs. Plastic?

Decorating By CountryCakery4 Updated 17 Dec 2013 , 10:36pm by pdesomov

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #1 of 8

More questions everyone!! My 'local' online cake supply place (meaning Canadian and if you can believe it only about an hour and a half from where I live!) is www.cakemischief.com and I'm pretty excited about ordering some magic line pans from them, but they only offer plastic molds for gumpaste work and I'm wondering how they compare in quality to the silicone ones? (I'm totally in love with that baby one from First Impressions) I'm sure the silicone ones are better, but are they a lot better? Like, don't even waste your $$ on plastic ones better? B/c the plastic ones are quite a bit less expensive than silicone I'd be able to get more variety. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:39am
post #2 of 8

I use the plastic molds sometimes. Parts of this were done with a plastic baroque mold:

I also bought some plastic ones that were leaf or flower veiners and those didn't give me the detail that I wanted.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 8

It actually depends on the mold. Sometimes, plastic molds (usually ones for chocolate) doesn't provide that much details but there are some which are awesome. I still prefer silicone molds but there are lots of plastic molds that I love.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #4 of 8

Judi, I was actually going to suggest your cake because I love the molds that you used!

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:18am
post #5 of 8

Wow, Texas, that is some cake!

Sorry to get back so late, I made the mistake of posting just before making dinner. Then of course, bath and bed etc. Next thing you know it's 11!icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks for the info on the molds. At least if I get a bad plastic mold I'm not out tons of $$. And get the silicone molds that I really want.

Thank you! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 8

The slicone molds are flexable, so often times you can get more details and deminsions out of them since you can bend the molds to get your fondant/gumpaste out of them. I do have some hard molds for some things and alot of silcone molds (mostly seashells). The silcone are pricey but you can use them for chocolates and in some cases hot sugar as well, so they are versital.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 8

OMGosh I love that baroque mold! I used it to make the details on my little girls Supergirl cake. And have used it since for a broach twice. The plastic molds work great.

pdesomov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pdesomov Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 8

I actually prefer Silicone molds to plastic as they're easier to get more detail and they come out cleaner. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%