Color Flow Instructions And Help

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 6:13pm by LaBellaFlor

Molly2 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 15

Can anyone tell me how or where I can find instructions on how to use Color Flow I see so many cakes on here that have decorations made from this stuff and I think it is so cool.


14 replies
janebrophy Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 15

Hi Molly,
The only time I've used colour flow was during a wilton class...I'm pretty certain that the wilton brand meringue powder has instructions included just underneath the plastic lid on how to make it, and use it...also, I seem to remember instructions in one of my wilton course books...let me know if you'd like me to look it up!

Cakepro Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 15

Here, I Googled it for you:

janebrophy Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 15

Wow Cakepro, that is much more detailed info than I've ever seen on Colorflow!! I have to make some of this for the end of the month...great reading!

Molly2 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:56am
post #5 of 15

Thank You both so much I will have to try it this weekend


LilaUK Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:32am
post #6 of 15

I made a color flow house at the weekend and found the color flow was really difficult to pipe. It hurt my hand and I had to thin it down with more water just to be able to finish my design. This was my first attempt, is this how color flow is supposed to be???

Thank you (and sorry for thread hijacking!)

Molly2 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 10:58am
post #7 of 15


Thank You thats information I need to know now I know it want hurt to be watered down more the what the recipe calls for

Molly thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 15

When piping the outline it needs to be thick enough to hold shape but it shouldn't be so thick that it hurts your hand to pipe. Follow the recipe then after it is made at a little water at a time until it feels like a good consistancy to be able to pipe but still holds it shape well. And when is say a little water at a time I mean drops. Adding an extra 1/2 teaspoon or teaspoon to the recipe can thin it down too much.

sweetflowers Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 15

I'm kind of bummed the Wilton has created a new 'technique' and called it their product name, not that it's any of my business. I don't use the product 'color flow', mainly because you don't have to. Decorators have been using run sugar (or thinned royal icing) for a long time. Just as an informational note, you can use royal icing made with meringue powder or egg white to make these run sugar or floodwork pieces ( color flow as Wilton calls it). Just in case you don't have the acutal product you can still make the decorations.

With that said, the instructions on the link are great. There might be other tutorials but with the title 'run sugar' or floodwork', I think there might be other names used for it too. It shouldn't hurt your hand, Texas sugar is right on!

TexasSugar Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 15

Sweetflowers, you are right, it can totally be done with royal icing. I use the 'techinque' all the time with royal icing.

I don't know when Wilton created their color flow product and how long others have been doing it with royal icing so I can't say who came up with it first and so on.

Color flow mix is different than Merginue powder even though they both start with egg whites. It is said that it will make a stronger shinier piece. I've never compared to see personally. I just use royal cause I always have MP on hand. icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 15

I have no idea who came up with run sugar first. I have books from the 30's that have it in it, but I know Wilton has been around a while, doesn't really matter. The color flow product is just egg white powder and a preservative according to the link. I get a shine on my normal royal run sugar by using a fan or hot light to help it dry faster, the faster it dries the shinier it is. Also, egg white royal will dry shinier than meringue powder royal, and very strong.

It doesn't matter what you use, I just want decorators to be aware that they don't have to buy the Wilton product to make the run sugar pieces, a lot of people don't have it in their areas.

TexasSugar Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 15

Oh I totally understand. I teach the Wilton classes and I let me students know you can use Royal icing for it. icon_smile.gif

I've also seen the same method done directly on the cake with a warmed marshmallow mixture and a powder sugar/corn syrup method. icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 15

Ooo, I've done the marshmallow creme method, it's really yummy too! haven't done the sugar/corn syrup one though, sounds interesting.

TexasSugar Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #14 of 15

It is simalar to the marshmallow one. You just make a glaze out of the powder sugar and corn syrup and flood it in. It has the translucent look like piping gel.

LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 6:13pm
post #15 of 15

Wilton's came up with it in the early '90's. I remeber it will, cause it looked so neat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%