Relocating? Estate Sale Anyone?

Lounge By adonisthegreek1 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm by adonisthegreek1

adonisthegreek1 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have experience with an estate sale? I will be relocating due to the economy to another state that is 12 driving hours away. I have not found a new house yet. I'm in the process of short selling this one. I had thought about putting things in storage, but I'm wondering if an estate sale is a good idea. Should I sell everything myself or hire a professional firm to do it? If you've had an estate sale or attended one, please give me your input.

Is it feasible to put everything in storage here and hire a moving company to move it when I buy a new house. That sounds like double the work.

14 replies
Barb1959 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 15

Usually an estate sale is to sell off items for someone who has died. At least that is what it is in NJ. I would have a "moving sale", but I would do it myself. If you hire someone than you have to give them some of the money. If you are doing a "short sale" you are IMO not in a position to give up any cash. If you live in a good location and can post really good signs, I would try it yourself. If you are looking to sell everything or almost everything open the house to it also and put a sign that says an reasonable offer considred.
Good luck. Where are you moving to?

adonisthegreek1 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 15

In my state an estate sale is for anyone who wants to liquidate his belongings. Perhaps I should call it a moving sale though. I'm heading to the Philadelphia area. I'm shortselling the house because there's no work in Michigan and my once $300,000 house is now worth about half of that. I'd never be able to sale it and even break even. I put $80,000 cash into this house and I am so mad that I could kick my own as_! icon_cry.gif

jonahsmom Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 15

I think an estate sale is a great idea. Or you could do an auction. Too bad you're not in Iowa - my father-in-law runs an auction business! Good luck!

mkolmar Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 15

As someone who lives in MI, I can't blame you at all for moving, too hard here. Good luck in PA, I wish you the best.
I would just do an estate sale, but by yourself and maybe a few friends/family to help. I'm sure it would be great to have a pro help, but then you'd have to pay them part of your much needed profits.
An auction may be a good way to try to sell your house.

Doug Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 15

yes -- boxing and putting in to storage IS an option (been there, done that NY -> NC)

hint -- move it yourself (uhaul tho' other companies are much less expensive) when the time is right.

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 15

One thing to consider is how much you can make selling your stuff vs. the cost of buying everything new for the new house, plus storage and transporting your belongings. Since you're in one of the hardest-hit areas, are you going to be able to get much for your stuff, or will you end up with people trying to bargain you down to nothing? If you have nice furniture, you're probably better off storing it and then moving it yourself once you're settled in, or renting a truck and a car dolly and just putting everything you want to keep in the truck and towing your car to your new area, then renting storage there so you won't have to make another trip to get your stuff.

Doug Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

One thing to consider is how much you can make selling your stuff vs. the cost of buying everything new for the new house, plus storage and transporting your belongings. Since you're in one of the hardest-hit areas, are you going to be able to get much for your stuff, or will you end up with people trying to bargain you down to nothing? If you have nice furniture, you're probably better off storing it and then moving it yourself once you're settled in, or renting a truck and a car dolly and just putting everything you want to keep in the truck and towing your car to your new area, then renting storage there so you won't have to make another trip to get your stuff.

that's how I did TX -> NY and then NY -> NC (tho on that one, had sis come help and she drove the car for me)

saved a bundle over using a moving company or buying all new when got "there"

TheCakerator Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 15

as another person in MI who is also struggling in this economy, I wish you the best of luck. Congrats on the short sale though!

KathysCC Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 15

Estate sales are pretty much garage sales and you won't make a lot of money, certainly not enough to replace your things. I think it would be more cost effective to store and move than try to sell everything and then replace it.

Now, if like most of us, you just have too much accumulated stuff, a garage sale would be a good idea to get rid of the extra stuff that you don't need or want. You would be able to rent a smaller storage area and smaller moving truck if you get rid of the excess.

All the best to you! icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 15

Do you have something in your area called PODS? It is a large cargo box that they deliver to your address and you fill it yourself then they can either store it for you or deliver it to your new address.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

Loucinda Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 15

PODS is not cheap by a long shot! My MIL looked into using them, almost $300. a month for what she needed. icon_eek.gif

dldbrou Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #13 of 15

When my brother used PODS it was around $75 a month. What she could do is pack her stuff in one and have it delivered and stored until she needs it.

cabecakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:47am
post #14 of 15

I would venture to say that if the ecomony is that bad where you live you probably wouldn't want to sell anything there. I'd go ahead and put it in storage where you are relocating and try to sell it there. Plus the cost of replacing your stuff is going to be killer, your best bet may to just find storage there until you get you a place and keep it until your back on your feet.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 15

Yes, I have heard of PODS. You all have given me so many things to consider that I hadn't thought about. You're right, I may not get much if I tried to sell stuff here in our struggling Michigan economy. I don't want to give my slate/oak pool table away. Thank you all so much for your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%