Making Characters!!

Decorating By loopylis84 Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm by Win

loopylis84 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all, Im a newbie to the firum, and to cake making and decorating!

My baby girl turns 2 next Monday, and for her party on Sunday I thought I would make her cake as we have been disappointed with shop bought lately. But OMG I have no idea if I am doing this character thing right!

I am going for an In The Night Garden theme, her bedroom is decorated in it so Im following the colour scheme, and icing the cake yellow. I then want to make a load of the characters to position on the cake.

So, all my icing was delivered today and a bit ago I sat here all excited to get stuck in. Only I have done Iggle Piggle, and he looks stupid I think part of the problem is getting the sizing right, at the mo he is too big so need to re start him and make him smaller. But how do I make it all seem 'smoother'? Its so obvious at the mo where I have connected all his arms and legs lol!

Also, Im panicking I have bought the wrong icing! He is very soft, and I wanted to stand him up. Will the icing harden, or have I been really daft and bought the wrong stuff? (I bought Regalice as it was the only one I could seem to find coloured)

Please can anyone give me any tips?!

2 replies
diamondsmom Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 3

You need to make the characters out of gumpaste, or a mixture of fondant and gumpaste. It is kinda impossible to make them from pure fondant. wouldn't dry hard so they would have a hard time standing up on the cake.

Win Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 3

Welcome to CC, loopylis84! You are a good momma, and taking on a big project! Yes, for your characters to stand up, you need a 50/50 combination of fondant and gumpaste OR, you can add tylose powder to your fondant and it will cause it to harden. Hopefully you have a cake supply shop nearby. If not, don't panic. Make the parts of your characters in separate pieces (sometimes kneading in some corn starch will stiffen the fondant a bit) and allow them to air dry for a bit. Then, make a "glue" from water and meringue powder (powdered egg whites) and glue them together when they have set a bit. This will help with the sagging. However, when characters are made from all fondant they still want to sag a bit. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%