No Filling?

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 1:03am by indydebi

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 6

Do you ever get requests for no filling? There have been a couple of times that I've given filling options, and they say no filling, but isn't this kind of necessary for 2 or more layers? Maybe it's not, but it would seem to me that filling would help adhere the layers together?

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe they mean no fruit filling?

I haven't had such request, but if someone came to me with that I'd tell them that we needed something to adhere the layers of cakes together and that they could pick icing or something else. There are times as cake decorators we have to tell them what hte cakes need stucturely.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 6

Ok good - that's exactly what i told her - that the cake layers needed something in between to adhere them and keep from sliding. Not sure why someone wouldn't want filling in their cake anyway! Haha..

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 6

I ran into the very same thing on my last cake. TexasSugar is right, sometimes you just have to explain to people you need something for structure. My gal was fine with buttercream between the layers

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 6

Usually my customers mean "just buttercream" when they say "no filling"...they just mean they don't want any fruit or pudding in the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:03am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Usually my customers mean "just buttercream" when they say "no filling"...they just mean they don't want any fruit or pudding in the cake.

Exactly. I gave quite a few speeches on "you HAVE to have filling in a 2 layer cake ... it's the glue that holds the layers together", before I realized it was just a terminology issue. So now, at the start of my sampling appts, I explain, "When we say icing, we are talking about the stuff on the outside of the cake. When we say filling, we are talking abot the stuff between the layers. All icings can be fillings. Not all fillings can be icings."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%