Tree On Cake/3D Tree?

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm by Writecakes

Writecakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 6

My search isn't working again, so if this has already been covered at some point, I apologize.

I'm doing a cake that will have a tree made from RKT (trunk covered in chocolate and leaves made from fondant) What is the best support system for the tree? Also, any tips from those who have done similar cakes? (like Tinkerbell trees, ect) This will be for a scene where two friends are sitting under a tree. I really want the tree to look like it's present on a beautiful spring day. Any suggestions would be so appreciated! Thank you!

5 replies
Rylan Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 6

I believe Texas_rose had a beautiful cake done. Ask her because she is extremely helpful.

sadsmile Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 6

A pretzel rod for the structure.(large cigar type pretzel) You could wrap it with modeling chocolate and from it like the trunk. You could make the structure of the top from RKT and cover it with fondant or RI. Think of it like a funny misshapen lollipop.

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, Rylan!

When I made my tree, I used dowels and straws and some 18 gauge wire and a piece of foamcore. I cut the foamcore to be an irregular circle and made a hole in the middle. I stuck a dowel through the hole and then taped more dowels to it with floral wire. Then I poked the wires into the cluster of dowels in different spots and put drinking straws over the wire. I wrapped the whole thing in floral tape and then covered it with fondant. It's easier than it sounds, it doesn't have to go on perfectly smooth because a tree isn't really smooth. Once it was covered, I added texture to it with a narrow veining tool, but a toothpick would work just as well. I added the leaves to small wires stuck into the fondant. More leaves would have been better but they were taking a long time and it was a cake for my husband, who I knew wouldn't count the leaves icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 6

Oh that's GREAT! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif The toilet paper on the branch. I love that Charmin commercial!

Writecakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 6

Wow! Great tree! Thank you so much for posting the directions. Hope I can do as well as you (or even half as well!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%