15 People

Decorating By Williamus Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm by Win

Williamus Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 8

I'm sure if I search this site I can find the answer to this question, but I'm basically lazy, so I'm calling on all of the cakers out there who love the internet. I'm just starting out in this business...been home baking for many many years, and have a stable of great recipes that I use.

I've got an order for a birthday cake to serve 15. Was planing on using 9" round cake pans, 2" high. Is a two layer cake with buttercream frosting going to be enough? (I usually say that this cake servers 12-14) but do I really need to do another whole layer to serve 1 more person?

7 replies
prterrell Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 8

Wow! you must be cutting some big honkin' pieces! a 9" round cake serves 30 when using the industry standard 1"x2"x4" serving size.

Williamus Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 8

It is going to be the only dessert. I'm using a Rose Levy Beranbaum recipe, and it says it serves 12. They are big pieces...but since you are so shocked by the size...I'm going to say that it is going to be enough cake...LOL. Thanks so much for your input.

Kerry_Kake Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 8

A 9" round cake will be enough for 15. It will not serve 30 to a birthday party ...that's wedding sized servings. But you will still have more than you need. I think it will serve around 20 for party sized servings. And that's good size pieces! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 8

indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 8

is the party for adults or kids? Because we cut wedding size pieces at all of our family parties and it's plenty. 5 year olds don't really want (or need) a piece bigger than that.

Williamus Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 8

It's a party for adults. Not sure what kind of eaters they are...but It's funny...I've never been presented with a request for cake for 15...more? yes! Less? Yes! I think it is going to be fine. Thanks for all your input.

Win Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 8

icon_lol.gif I just made a cake for 15 this past weekend... but they are big people with big appetites so I made them a 10" square knowing that they think a 3" square is a serving. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%